11 Tibetans trying to gatecrash BRICS summit venue detainedMarch 29th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) Eleven Tibetans, attempting to gatecrash into the Taj Palace Hotel — the venue of the ongoing BRICS summit in New Delhi, were detained by the Delhi Police Thursday afternoon, a Tibetan organisation said.
At around 12.20 p.m., two Tibetans unfurled banners on the nearby Satya Niketan footbridge. A few other Tibetan demonstrators joined them and the group then ran down the footbridge onto the heavily-policed San Martin Marg, where officials nabbed them before they could get closer to the summit venue.
Leaders of the five-nation grouping BRICS — comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa — were meeting here Thursday for a daylong summit.
The activists, while being arrested, continued to display banners and shout slogans. One large banner read: “Hu Jintao Failed Leader Free Tibet Now”.
“Swaraj, my birthright” was the slogan hand-lettered on one protestor’s back. “Swaraj” is Hindi for self rule, and the entire phrase was widely-used during India’s struggle for independence from the British.
The action took place following the death of Jamphel Yeshi, 27, who succumbed Wednesday morning to severe burns suffered when he set himself on fire March 26 at Jantar Mantar to protest Chinese President Hu Jintao’s visit here for the summit.
- Ahead of Hu's visit, Tibetan sets himself afire - Mar 26, 2012
- Tibetan activist who immolated himself dies (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Security tightened at Hu's hotel after Tibetan's death - Mar 28, 2012
- Tibetan activist who immolated himself dies - Mar 28, 2012
- Attempted self-immolation by Tibetan against Hu Jintao's visit (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- JNU's Tibetan students pay homage to 'martyr' - Mar 29, 2012
- Protestor's immolation attempt brings Tibetans together - Mar 27, 2012
- Police near homes leave Tibetans sore - Mar 28, 2012
- Seven more Tibetan protestors arrested - Mar 30, 2012
- China thanks India for curbing Tibetan protests (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Tibetan who died to be cremated in Dharamsala - Mar 29, 2012
- China says Dalai Lama stoking extremist views - Mar 29, 2012
- Tibetan who died pleads for freedom - Mar 28, 2012
- Protests, prayers mark Hu visit - Mar 28, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama not inciting self-immolations' - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: birthright, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, delhi police, footbridge, free tibet, hu jintao, india china, mantar, marg, president hu jintao, protestor, satya, self rule, severe burns, summit venue, taj palace hotel, tibetan demonstrators, tibetans, yeshi