11 terror suspects held, catastrophe averted (Second Lead)August 30th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 30 (IANS) Eleven people planning to assassinate leading Karnataka politicians, some journalists and Hindu leaders on the ordrs of Pakistan-based terror outfits have been arrested in Karnataka, a police officer said Thursday.
The arrested men were plotting to assassinate “very important personalities in Karnataka. With their arrests, a major catastrophe has been averted in Karnataka”, state police chief Lalrokhuma Pachau said.
The 11, six from Bangalore and five from Hubli, were “handled” by Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Harkat-ul Jehad-e-Islami (Huji) operators based in Saudi Arabia, Bangalore Police Commissioner B.G. Jyothiprakash Mirji said at the joint press meet. Hubli is about 450 km from Bangalore.
The 11 were arrested late Wednesday after keeping a tab on them for two to three months, Mirji said. All of them are in their late 20s or early 30s.
Arms, including a foreign made 7.65 mm pistol, and several rounds of ammunition have been seized from the arrested men in Bangalore, he said.
Except for the names and age of the arrested, he did not give any other detail about them saying it would hamper investigations.
Mirji also declined to confirm whether one of the arrested was a journalist with a Bangalore-based English daily.
Residents of Jayachamarajendra Nagar in north Bangalore from where the six were arrested told reporters earlier in the day that one of them was a reporter.
The arrested have been charged with criminal conspiracy, promoting enmity between different groups, attempt to murder and theft and aoso booked under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Arms Act.
- 11 terror suspects held, 'catastrophe' averted: Karnataka Police (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- One more terror suspect held in Bangalore, total now 13 - Sep 02, 2012
- Muslim grouping seeks fair probe in Karnataka terror case - Sep 01, 2012
- Special team to probe Karnataka terror suspects' links - Sep 01, 2012
- Journalist among nine held for terrorist links - Aug 30, 2012
- Terror suspects families cry foul over arrests - Aug 31, 2012
- Panic subsides in Karnataka, people flee Maharashtra (Intro-Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- Karnataka officer's murder case solved, four held: Police - Jun 07, 2012
- Medical seat sale racket busted in Karnataka - Oct 03, 2011
- Four lawyers held for attack on Bangalore journalists (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Bangalore lawyers assault mediapersons - Mar 02, 2012
- Vigil stepped up in Bangalore - Jul 14, 2011
- Arrests of terror suspects in Karnataka rises to 14 - Sep 03, 2012
- 16 arrested in Bangalore, northeast exodus subsides (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Hyderabad student's family says he is innocent - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: ammunition, aoso, catastrophe, criminal conspiracy, enmity, hindu leaders, huji, journalist, journalists, lashkar e taiba, personalities, pistol, police chief, police commissioner, police officer, politicians, prevention act, saudi arabia, state police, three months