11 policemen killed by Maoists in JharkhandJune 12th, 2009 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 12 (IANS) Eleven policemen were killed in separate Maoist attacks in Bokaro district of Jharkhand Friday, police said.
According to police, Maoists attacked a State Bank of India (SBI) branch near Fusro market of Bokaro town Friday afternoon, killing two personnel of the state police. At least 10 other people were injured in the indiscriminate firing by the rebels.
A gun battle was on between security forces and the rebels in the Bermo police station area of Bokaro after the attack.
Maoist rebels also detonated a land mine in Nawadih area of Bokaro district, killing at least nine security personnel, state Director General of Police V.D. Ram said.
Maoist had called a strike Friday in six states including Jharkhand to protest the killing of Venkat Reddy, a member of the central committee of banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of the 24 districts of Jharkhand. Nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
- Maoists kill 13 security personnel in Jharkhand (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 12, 2009
- Attack meant to reassert Maoist presence in Jharkhand: police - May 04, 2011
- Massive anti-naxal combing operation launched in Jharkhand - Jun 13, 2009
- Maoist ambush kills three cops in Bastar - Oct 21, 2011
- Maoists blow up building in Jharkhand - Dec 21, 2009
- Maoists' violence kills 9 policemen in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2009
- Maoists kill 11 Jharkhand policemen in twin attacks - Jun 13, 2009
- Three Maoists killed in Jharkhand gunfight - Jan 09, 2011
- Maoists blow up 11th government building in Jharkhand - Apr 10, 2009
- 11 security men killed, 30 injured in Jharkhand ambush - May 03, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested - Mar 09, 2010
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Detonators, gelatin sticks seized in Jharkhand - Jun 08, 2012
- One Maoist killed, two held in Jharkhand - Sep 17, 2010
- Andhra Maoist arrested in Jharkhand - Aug 09, 2010