11 killed in Mosul, Baghdad (Lead)September 3rd, 2008 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Sep 2 (DPA) Seven people were killed in a car bombing in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul Tuesday, while in Baghdad twin bomb attacks left four dead.In Mosul, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle near an Iraqi army checkpoint in the eastern al-Quds neighbourhood, killing seven people and wounding seven.
Despite having a significant Kurdish population, the city does not constitute part of the area controlled by the Kurdistan regional government.
In Baghdad, twin attacks that targeted police patrols left four people dead and 14 injured, the Voice of Iraq (VOI) news agency reported.
Another attack took place in al-Harithiya neighbourhood, western Baghdad, when a bomb exploded near an Iraqi police patrol vehicle. Two were killed and six wounded.
Earlier, in central Baghdad, a policeman and a civilian were killed and eight civilians were injured in a blast near the Kendi Hospital.
In Kirkuk, the city’s deputy governor Rakan Said survived an assassination attempt when a roadside bomb went off near the Baghdad bus station, an official told VOI.
Rifts over the status of the multi-ethnic city, with a population of Kurds, Arabs, and Turkmen, have resulted in lawmakers failing to pass legislation on provincial elections.
Kurds, claiming a majority of the city’s population, currently hold more than half the seats in the Kirkuk council. Arabs and Turkmen oppose any integration of the city into autonomous Kurdistan.
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- 15 killed, nine injured in attacks in Iraq (Lead) - Sep 10, 2009
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- One killed, nine injured in Iraq bombings - Jul 09, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Six killed, three injured in two attacks in Iraq - Sep 09, 2009
- Truck bomb attack kills 65 people in Iraq (Lead) - Jun 21, 2009
- Two dead, nine hurt in four bomb attacks in Iraq - Dec 25, 2011
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Gunmen kill five policemen in Iraq - Sep 12, 2009