11 killed as strong winds, floods hit Sri LankaNovember 25th, 2011 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Nov 25 (IANS) At least 11 people were killed and over 700 houses were damaged when strong winds and floods lashed parts of Sri Lanka Friday, Xinhua reported.
Area officials in the southern town of Galle, about 120 km from national capital Colombo, said 11 people were killed by falling debris and other weather-related incidents in the area.
According to Sri Lanka’s disaster management centre, the country’s north and east were also affected by flooding.
Several houses were damaged from the strong winds in the southern towns of Galle and Matara, said an official of the centre.
About 200 houses were damaged in Galle and 500 in the southern Matara town while several trees were also uprooted.
- India-backed railway project inaugurated in Sri Lanka - Feb 16, 2011
- Six die as rains lash Pakistan province - Sep 02, 2011
- Violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir, one dead (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Squalls, hailstorm kill seven in Tripura - Apr 10, 2012
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Storms claim 56 lives in India - May 20, 2011
- Krishna unveils rail project in Sri Lanka - Jan 19, 2012
- Storm kills three, damages many houses in Tripura - Apr 08, 2012
- One killed as violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Typhoon Muifa kills at least 10 in North Korea - Aug 10, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- 26 killed in Uttar Pradesh storms - May 21, 2011
- Dust storms kill 10 in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012