11 envoys present credentials to presidentNovember 1st, 2011 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Tuesday pitched for a permanent seat for India in the UN Security Council as 11 ambassadors, including those of France, Cuba and Nigeria, presented their credentials to her at a ceremony here.
The envoys presented their credentials at a ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan attended by senior officials of the missions and the external affairs ministry.
The envoys who presented their credentials were Nigeria’s Oyebola Kuku, France’s Francois Richier, Belarus’ Vladimir Goshin, Cote d’Ivoire’s Sainy Tiemele, Luxembourg’s Gaston Stronck, Hungary’s Janos Terenyi, Fiji’s Yogesh Karan, Tunisia’s Tarek Azouz, Cuba’s Abelardo Rafael Cueto Sosa, Macedonia’s Slobodan Tashoski and Azerbaijan’s Ibrahim Assad oglu Hajiyev.
Welcoming the envoys, Patil said India sought to enlarge economic engagement with other countries for peace, progress and development. She called for reforms of global governance.
“India has all the credentials for its legitimate aspiration to become a permanent member of the UN Security Council,” she told the envoys.
The president stressed that reforms in international bodies must reflect contemporary realities to make them more credible and effective.
- India looking to being responsible UNSC member: President Patil - Dec 08, 2010
- Envoys of eight nations present credentials to President Patil - Dec 08, 2010
- India to use UNSC presidency to establish credentials - Jul 29, 2011
- President Patil's thanks to international community for support in becoming member of UNSC - Oct 18, 2010
- Nine envoys present credentials to President Patil - Jan 12, 2012
- Developing nations should work together: President Patil - Apr 24, 2012
- Envoys of seven nations present credentials to President Patil - Sep 29, 2010
- India wants to share experiences with others: Patil - Aug 05, 2010
- Cuba rolls 230 foot cigar - May 05, 2011
- Israel's new ambassador presents his credentials - Aug 12, 2011
- UN official to Cuba: Heed events in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 18, 2011
- Envoys of seven nations present credentials to President Patil - Sep 24, 2009
- President receives credentials from seven envoys - Sep 29, 2010
- Cuban rolls 80 m long cigar - May 04, 2011
- Pak opposes expansion of UNSC without veto powers to counter India's move - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: abelardo, assad, cote d ivoire, economic engagement, external affairs ministry, france cuba, global governance, goshin, international bodies, karan, kuku, peace progress, president pratibha patil, rafael cueto, richier, senior officials, slobodan, tarek, un security council, yogesh