11 die in Yemeni army, Al Qaeda clashesJune 27th, 2011 - 11:10 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, June 27 (IANS) At least 11 people, inluding six Al Qaeda militants, were killed and 35 injured in clashes between the army forces and Al Qaeda militants in Yemen’s port city of Aden Sunday, Xinhua reported Monday.
“Three soldiers, six Al Qaeda militants and two passers-by were killed in shelling in the eastern entrance of Aden Sunday (and) another 15 soldiers and about 20 Al Qaeda elements were wounded,” a military official said, requesting anonymity.
The Al Qaeda militants have stationed themselves outside Al-Alamkey entrance of Aden city about a week ago in an attempt to invade the port city, said another official.
Yemen has been gripped by five-month-long protests across the impoverished Arab state, demanding long-time president Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down.
Prolonged impasse triggered deterioration in security and economic situations.
- Six killed in Yemen - Jun 24, 2011
- 14 soldiers killed in Yemen car bombing - Aug 18, 2012
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Yemen detains prison director over Al Qaeda escape - Jun 26, 2011
- 13 Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Jul 04, 2011
- Two students dead in Yemen as protests continue - Feb 23, 2011
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Al Qaeda militants kill six Yemeni soldiers - Jul 26, 2010
- 11 policemen, three Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Aug 21, 2010
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- Protests rattle major cities across Yemen - Apr 14, 2011
- Seven killed in attack on Yemen's spy agency - Jun 19, 2010
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012