11 cops die in Jharkhand landmine blast (Lead)June 10th, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 10 (IANS) At least 11 security personnel were killed and six injured in a landmine blast in Jharkhand’s West Singhbhum district Wednesday, police said.
The blast was triggered by guerrillas of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) around 8.30 a.m. near Tithir village of West Singhbhum, about 200 km from here.
“Eleven security personnel were killed and six injured in the landmine blast,” Jharkhand police chief V.D. Ram said.
The security personnel belonged to both the state police and the Central Reserve Paramilitary Force (CRPF).
“The security personnel were returning in five vehicles after Long Range Patrolling (LRP). The first vehicle carrying around 20 personnel was hit by the landmine blast. Later, the security personnel were ambushed and a gun battle between the security personnel and the rebels took place,” a police officer said.
The officer said additional forces were rushed to assist in the gun battle.
Maoist guerrillas are active in 18 of the 24 districts of the state. Nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
- 3 security personnel injured in Jharkhand landmine blast - Jun 10, 2009
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Jharkhand - Dec 24, 2010
- Maoists shot policemen in head, burnt two - Jan 22, 2012
- Three Jharkhand policemen wounded in landmine blast - Jun 13, 2009
- Three Maoists escape from jail in Jharkhand - Jan 17, 2011
- 11 security men killed, 30 injured in Jharkhand ambush - May 03, 2011
- Blame game begins over death of 11 cops in Jharkhand - Jun 11, 2009
- Eleven policemen killed in Jharkhand landmine blast - Jun 10, 2009
- 67 percent polling, CRPF trooper killed in Jharkhand (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Maoists kill 13 security personnel in Jharkhand (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 12, 2009
- Two CRPF men killed, 5 injured in Maoist ambush - Jul 23, 2012
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- One killed in Jharkhand landmine blast - May 19, 2009
- CRPF trooper hurt, eight landmines found in Jharkhand - Aug 03, 2012
- Hardcore Maoist held in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012