11 arrested for running fake friendship clubDecember 13th, 2008 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) A gang running a friendship club, which charged money for providing contact details of women who would telephonically “entertain” callers but would stop taking the calls of people who wanted to meet them, has been busted, the police said Saturday.Eleven people, including four women, were arrested for allegedly running the friendship club.
The police found that nearly Rs.5.7 million was deposited since January in over a dozen bank accounts of the club. The accounts were opened using forged documents.
The police acted on a tip-off and raided the office of SN Net Special Friendship Club in the Karol Bagh area.
“Advertisements in the newspapers appear with phone numbers procured on fake documents. The clients used to call on these numbers and the calls were attended by any of the boys or girls.
“The caller was promised contact numbers of women willing to be friends and a bank account number was given to the caller. The friendship club charged from Rs.3,000 to Rs.10,000 per month from the clients,” a police official said.
“After receiving the money, one of the four arrested women used to entertain the customers on the telephone for some time and all efforts were made to squeeze out maximum money from the callers. The calls were invariably rejected when the client would insist on meeting the woman,” the official added.
Eleven telephones that were procured on forged documents were seized. Twelve bank accounts too were opened on fake documents. Two PAN cards and a fake driving licence were seized.
“One person, Mohammad Zeeshan, is absconding but we will soon arrest him,” the police official said.
- Fake friendship club busted - Sep 25, 2011
- Six men held for cheating on pretext of giving loans - Nov 18, 2011
- Gang of fraudsters busted, three arrested from UP - Sep 19, 2012
- Fake friendship club busted in Delhi - May 27, 2009
- Three held for fraud using fake cheques - Dec 28, 2011
- Friendship club racket busted, 25 arrested (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Police scale down seized fake money haul, say notes good quality - Jan 14, 2012
- Chandigarh Police arrest two for tourist visa fraud - Nov 21, 2011
- Man, young women in jail over fake 'friendship club' - May 07, 2010
- Three held for stealing money from IIT accounts - Nov 15, 2011
- One more held in fake pilots' licence scam (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Five held for cheating in name of friendship club - Dec 12, 2011
- Citibank manager accused of $65 mn fraud surrenders (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2010
- Loan agent held for forgery - Apr 01, 2012
- Two more arrested in fake pilots' license scam - May 05, 2011