108-year-old former prisoner diesAugust 26th, 2011 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 26 (IANS) Over two months after being released on grounds of ill-health at the age of 108, Brij Bihari Pandey, a murder convict, breathed his last in his ancestral village in Uttar Pradesh’s Maharajganj district, officials said Friday.
Pandey died Thursday in Barhada village, some 250 km from Lucknow, at his ancestral home where he lived with his three sons, police inspector Ram Badai said.
Pandey was freed from Gorakhpur district jail June 17 following special bail granted to him by the Allahabad High Court.
Describing Pandey as the “oldest prisoner in the history of Indian prisons”, Gorakhpur District Magistrate Hari Om had said: “The man was released following a bail order issued by the Allahabad High Court on grounds of ill-health due to old age.”
“We are waiting for some of our relatives. The last rites would be performed along the bank of Narayani river near the village,” Pandey’s grandson Munna Kumar told reporters
According to police, Pandey was jailed in 2009 after being convicted along with 15 others for the murder of four people in Maharajganj over inheritance of a Hindu religious institution in 1987.
Pandey spent less than a year in jail as an undertrial in 1988.
The trial went on for more than two decades until 2009, when Pandey was convicted along with others to life imprisonment. His health was on a natural slide and went on deteriorating, following which police had moved an application for his release on grounds of infirmities and illness that was accepted by the court.
- 'Thank you', says India's oldest prisoner after being freed - Jun 18, 2011
- India's oldest prisoner released at age 108 - Jun 18, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Lucknow ex-medical officer gets bail in jail death case - Aug 29, 2011
- Sukh Ram contests conviction, CBI asked to respond (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Nupur Talwar jailed, bail hearing resumes Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- High court grants bail to Sukh Ram (Lead) - Nov 28, 2011
- Ex-minister sent back to jail after 'illness' - Sep 05, 2011
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Eight die in as fireworks unit explodes - Oct 25, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh probing jailed legislator's video - Dec 06, 2011
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Escaped prisoner nabbed after three weeks - Jul 15, 2010
- Nupur Talwar jailed, bail hearing resumes Tuesday (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: allahabad high court, ancestral home, ancestral village, badai, bihari, district jail, district magistrate, district officials, ill health, indian prisons, infirmities, last rites, life imprisonment, lucknow, munna, murder convict, police inspector, religious institution, undertrial, uttar pradesh