1,028 soldiers commit suicide since 2003August 8th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) A total of 1,028 soldiers from the Indian Army have committed suicide from 2003 to July this year, parliament was informed Wednesday.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony said this in the Rajya Sabha in a written reply to questions from a member.
Antony said he could not ascertain the veracity of information given by the member that over 15,000 soldiers had committed suicide in the last two decades in Jammu and Kashmir alone.
In 2003, the total suicides among soldiers was 96. It rose to 100 the next year.
A total of 129 committed suicide in 2006 and 77 in 2005.
In 2007, the figure was 118 and in 2008 123. In 2009, the number fell to 96 but rose to 115 in 2010. It was 102 in 2011.
Till July this year, 62 had reportedly killed themselves.
He said the major causes of suicides in the army were domestic problems, marital discord, stress and financial problems, according to studies by the Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR).
- 17 fragging cases in Indian armed forces since 2007 - Nov 23, 2011
- Indian defence forces record 83 fratricides in 12 years - May 02, 2012
- Suicides in paramilitary forces on the rise - Mar 13, 2012
- 256 BSF troopers committed suicide since 2004 - Mar 14, 2012
- Additional $1.3 billion for defence communication network - May 09, 2012
- Man commits suicide in Delhi - Mar 03, 2011
- No doubt about armed forces' patriotism: Antony - Apr 04, 2012
- Doctor commits suicide in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 13, 2010
- Suicides: Act promptly on soldiers' leave applications, says Antony - Sep 06, 2012
- Suicide or harassment? Woman jumps to death in mall - Apr 28, 2011
- Relatives suspect foul play in army jawan's suicide - Aug 10, 2012
- Can't ignore kin's evidence in matrimonial dispute: SC - Jul 05, 2012
- Capt Kohli's family plans to move high court for probe - Dec 03, 2010
- Army standoff in Kashmir blown out of proportion: PM - Aug 09, 2012
- Woman hangs herself to death in Delhi - May 15, 2012
Tags: antony, committed suicide, decades, defence institute, defence minister, indian army, institute of psychological research, jammu, kashmir, marital discord, New Delhi, parliament, rajya sabha, reply, stress, suicides, veracity, year 62