1,000 yachts raided in Italy to nab tax cheatsApril 4th, 2012 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, April 4 (IANS/AKI) Italy’s war on tax cheats moved to the sea where police ran checks on the owners of almost 1,000 yachts docked or sailing off of the country’s heel.
Police in the southern Puglia region compared the value of 963 sail and motor boats not smaller than 10 metres to the declared income of their owners.
In one case, the owner of a 1.2 million euro yacht had never declared income, police said Tuesday. Other luxury vessels worth hundreds of thousands of euros belonged to people and businesses with little or no declared income.
Italy’s emergency government of un-elected ministers has declared a high-profile war on tax evasion as part of its effort to put the country’s financial house in order and lower its 1.9 trillion-euro debt. This is the first large-scale operation in Italy’s south, following crackdowns in Milan and hangouts for the wealthy like ski resort Cortina d’Ampezzo.
Italy’s tax police in January said they identified 7,500 Italians who last year hid around 50 billion euros in taxable income. The country’s largest tax collection agency last week said increased surveillance helped it recover almost 13 billion euros in evaded taxes last year.
- Italy loses 4.5 bn euros in tax frauds - May 03, 2012
- Italian police clamp down on tax evaders - Jan 30, 2012
- Italian ministers post salaries online - Feb 22, 2012
- 3,400 fake disabled, poor found in Italy - Aug 07, 2012
- Berlusconi's income rises - Mar 20, 2012
- Berlusconi highest-earning politician in Italy - Mar 20, 2012
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Italy's industrial production rose in November - Jan 13, 2012
- Consumer confidence dips to three year low in Italy - Oct 26, 2011
- Fiat profit more than doubled in fourth quarter - Feb 03, 2012
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- 25.4 bn euros recovered from tax evaders in Italy - Feb 11, 2011
- Cops raid world's oldest bank - May 09, 2012
- Nearly 200 kg cocaine seized in Italy port - Sep 08, 2012
- Italians declare 97 bn euros stashed off-shore - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: aki, april 4, emergency government, euro debt, hundreds of thousands, italians, luxury vessels, milan, motor boats, puglia region, rome, s south, ski resort, tax evasion, tax police, taxable income, trillion, worth hundreds, yacht, yachts