1,000 train passengers escape disaster in Assam (Lead)June 17th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 17 (IANS) About 1,000 passengers of a long-distance train had a miraculous escape here when a powerful bomb was found on board early Friday. The explosive was soon defused by bomb experts.
The security forces detected a bomb in a steel container, concealed inside a bag, in coach S5 of the Kanchenjunga Express. It was fitted with a timer and was detected by security forces during a routine check shortly after the train from Bangalore arrived in Guwahati around 5.15 a.m.
“Security forces were conducting a routine search when they found an unattended small but heavy bag and on suspicion they checked and detected the bomb neatly concealed,” a senior police officer said.
The passengers were immediately evacuated from the station and a bomb disposal squad was summoned.
“It was an improvised explosive device weighing about five kg and fitted with a timer. It was a powerful bomb and had it exploded, it would have been a disaster,” the officer said. The bomb was disposed of soon thereafter.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the bag containing the bomb could have been left inside the coach sometime during the night in the Assam sector.
“We don’t know who could be behind the act, but definitely some militant group from Assam who are opposed to the peace talks might have been behind this,” he added.
- Narrow escape for 1,000 train passengers in Assam - Jun 17, 2011
- Security intensified in Delhi railway stations - Jun 17, 2011
- Bomb found in Assam train, defused - Aug 12, 2011
- Maharashtra Police defuse live bomb in Pune - Feb 11, 2011
- Ten grenades found at Guwahati railway station - Aug 05, 2010
- Unattended bags create security scare at Mumbai airport - Sep 10, 2011
- Backyard bomb injures four of family in Assam - Feb 17, 2011
- Unclaimed bag sparks bomb scare at Mumbai airport - Sep 16, 2011
- One killed, six hurt in Assam rail track blast - Jul 08, 2010
- Logan Airport Bomb Scare Resolved Finally - Nov 24, 2010
- South African airport evacuated after bomb scare - Jun 24, 2012
- Assam on high alert after train bombing - Jul 11, 2011
- Explosive-laden car detected in Srinagar - May 17, 2012
- Bomb defused near Jammu (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Bomb diffused near Jammu - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: assam, bomb disposal squad, bomb experts, coach, disaster, explosive device, investigations, kanchenjunga, kg, long distance, militant group, peace talks, police officer, routine check, routine search, s5, steel container, suspicion, timer, train passengers