1,000 more low-floor buses in Delhi by SeptemberMarch 19th, 2009 - 1:07 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) Around 1,000 more low-floor buses will be plying on the city roads by September this year as part of the government’s plan to phase-out the “killer” Blueline buses and ease public transport woes, the Delhi High Court was told Wednesday.
The city government sought more time from the Delhi High Court to extend the deadline for buying low floor buses in the capital.
The Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) informed the court that they have already placed order for 2,500 low floor buses and 40 percent of them would be on the roads by September and the remaining by February next year.
The DTC said a proposal for another 2,000 low-floor buses is lying with the state government.
“Talks for installing the Global Positioning System on the buses is at an advanced stage. The technical aspects are being studied by Delhi Integrated Multi Modal Transit System Limited,” the DTC said.
The Delhi government also informed the court that a proposal for corporatisation of the state transport is also under consideration and a decision will be taken soon.
The court asked the government to come up with a proper plan very soon and slated the matter for hearing May 6.
Taking cognisance of accidents due to Blueline buses, the court in October 2007 directed the government to frame new guidelines and phase out all Blueline buses from the city roads.
- Blueline buses get brief lease of life (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Delhi to add 4,000 buses to tide over Blueline phaseout - Jan 13, 2011
- Blueline buses not to return to Delhi roads - Oct 25, 2010
- Court reserves order on phase-out of Blueline buses - Jan 20, 2011
- Court backs government on phasing out Blueline buses - Nov 01, 2010
- Court ruling on Blueline buses Thursday - Mar 02, 2011
- Court allows Bluelines in south Delhi, government firm on phase-out - Oct 29, 2010
- Court allows Blueline buses to ply in south Delhi - Oct 29, 2010
- Blueline buses get fresh lease of life (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Blueline buses to breath their last in June 2012 (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Contracts signed for four more bus clusters in Delhi - Nov 01, 2010
- Fate of blueline buses in Delhi to be decided today - Oct 25, 2010
- Corporate bigwigs to make inroads into Delhi bus services - Nov 01, 2010
- More Bluelines going out, private low-floors being introduced - Dec 28, 2010
- Court tips on traffic scenario after Blueline buses exit - Mar 03, 2011