100 Tibetans protestors arrested in Himachal PradeshMarch 13th, 2008 - 9:04 pm ICT by admin
Dharamsala, March 13 (IANS) The police arrested 100 Tibetan refugees and stopped their anti-China march in Himachal Pradesh Thursday. “According to instructions from the central government, we have arrested 100 Tibetans, including six women,” said Himachal Pradesh’s deputy inspector general of police J.R. Thakur.
Witnesses said the police stopped the protestors, including 70 Buddhist monks, near Dehra in Kangra district, about 250 km from here.
None of them offered any resistance while being arrested.
The arrested Tibetans are currently housed in the temple town of Jwalamukhi and are likely to be presented before a magistrate in the next few hours.
A spokesperson of the Tibetan refugees said all the protestors are on fast after their arrest.
The Tibetan refugees had begun their march from Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile Monday, on the anniversary of the 49th Tibetan uprising against the Chinese communist regime.
The 100 protestors were from top five Tibetan NGOs based in India. They were wearing traditional Buddhist attire.
- Rs.6 crore currency seized from Karmapa's monastery - Jan 28, 2011
- Himachal panel questions policy on Tibetans - Apr 05, 2012
- Karmapa concerned over unrest in Tibet (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- US envoy to meet Dalai Lama in Dharamsala - Feb 23, 2011
- 10 cases of Tibetans illegally buying Himachal land - Apr 08, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoy arrested in Nepal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- China paying Nepal to nab Tibetan refugees: WikiLeaks - Dec 19, 2010
- Dalai Lama's envoy arrested in Nepal (Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- UN help sought over repression in Tibet - Apr 15, 2011
- Exiles predict more trouble in Tibet - Mar 17, 2012
- Tibetan government-in-exile expresses faith in Karmapa - Mar 11, 2011
- Amount spent on Dalai Lama security shrouded in secrecy - Mar 30, 2011
- Karmapa's monastery raided, aide arrested - Jan 27, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Buddhist Monastic Institute in Gopalpur near Dharamsala - Sep 12, 2010