100 blinded after Chhattisgarh eye operations: JogiJanuary 6th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 6 (IANS) Senior Congress leader Ajit Jogi said Friday that three people had died and over 100 people were blinded in Chhattisgarh after being operated upon at government-run eye operation camps in recent months.
“It’s shocking that over 100 people were blinded and three people died after they were operated upon for cataract at government eye camps in various districts in recent months,” Jogi, a former chief minister, said in a statement.
He termed this as “extremely serious and concerning”. Holding the state’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government responsible, he sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.
The state government has strongly denied any deaths after cataract surgeries at government health camps. But Health Minister Amar Agrawal admitted in the state assembly Dec 22 that as many as 44 people were blinded after being operated upon at an eye camp organised by the state government at Balod in Durg district between Sep 22-Sep 30 in 2011.
- Chhattisgarh denies three dead after operation - Oct 20, 2011
- Chhattisgarh admits 44 blinded at Durg eye camp - Dec 23, 2011
- Chhattisgarh gets notice for botched eye operations - Jan 24, 2012
- Congress wants minister sacked over botched eye camp - Dec 01, 2011
- 45 blinded: Congress seeks Rs.2 mn for each victim - Oct 18, 2011
- Eleven lose sight after surgery at government camp - Oct 13, 2011
- 45 blinded: Congress slams BJP for compensation - Oct 25, 2011
- 13 more blinded after cataract surgery - Oct 16, 2011
- Murder at health camp, say blinded patients - Oct 17, 2011
- Rights body sends notice to Chhattisgarh government - Oct 19, 2011
- Nine go blind after operation in Andhra - May 27, 2012
- Chhattisgarh reports 47 malaria deaths - Mar 01, 2011
- Factionalism widens in Chhattisgarh Congress after bypoll loss - Feb 19, 2011
- Chhattisgarh assembly to take up no-trust motion Friday - Dec 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh ministers violated poll code: Congress - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: ajit jogi, bharatiya janata party, bjp government, cataract surgeries, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, congress leader, deaths, eye camp, eye camps, eye operation, eye operations, government health, health camps, health minister, raipur, state assembly, state government