10 river pirates killed in BangladeshDecember 14th, 2011 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 14 (IANS) At least 11 people, including 10 river pirates, were killed and five policemen wounded Wednesday in a gun battle on a river island in Bangladesh, police said.
The incident took place in an estuary of the river Meghna, Xinhua reported.
The pirates abducted 20 fishermen and seized their boats. After getting information, police rushed to the spot and launched an attack that lasted for three hours, said Bashir Ahmed, police chief of Bhola district, 205 km from Dhaka.
He said the pirates killed one fisherman. At least 19 others were rescued by police.
Around 10 to 12 pirates fled the scene in two boats, he said.
- Eyes of seven pirates gouged out in Bangladesh - Jul 07, 2011
- 75 fishermen abducted in Bangladesh - Aug 25, 2011
- Bangladesh fishermen to get identity cards - Nov 04, 2011
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Three Indian fishermen killed by Bangladeshi pirates - Jan 28, 2012
- Bangladesh's toxic waters captured in photo-essay (With Images, Feature) - Jun 10, 2012
- 63,000 narcotic tablets seized in Bangladesh - Dec 14, 2011
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Indian fisherman killed by Sri Lankan Navy - Jul 08, 2010
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jul 17, 2012
- 35 dead, 10 missing in Bangladesh boat capsize - Dec 19, 2010