10 Ranchi jail staffers suspended for prisoners’ deathJune 6th, 2011 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 6 (IANS) At least 10 staffers of a Jharkhand jail were suspended for the death of three inmates, an official said Monday.
“Ten ‘jawans’ of Birsa Munda central jail (in Ranchi) have been suspended in connection with the death of three prisoners,” Inspector General of Police Vijay Kumar told reporters.
Sources in the jail administration said seven prisoners fell ill after consuming soft drink given to them. All of them were admitted Sunday morning to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) for treatment, where three of them died.
“Two litres of cold drink, biscuits and eatable materials were sent inside the jail for one of the prisoners, who shared it with others. All seven fell ill after drinking the cold drink. Someone had mixed poison in it,” said a source in the jail.
The jail has many high profile inmates including former chief minister Madhu Koda, three ex-ministers Enos Ekka, Hari Narayan Rai and Kamlesh Singh and several Maoist leaders.
- Former Jharkhand minister grilled by ED in hospital - Feb 02, 2011
- Ex Jharkhand minister has assets 579 percent of income! - Jan 27, 2012
- Jailed legislators helped Congress: BJP - May 03, 2012
- CBI probe ordered against Koda in assets case - Aug 04, 2010
- CBI takes over Koda scam probe - Aug 12, 2010
- Madhu Koda, ex-Minister shifted from hospital to jail - Dec 30, 2011
- Koda booked for instigating prisoners - Nov 02, 2011
- Jharkhand ministers, legislators to declare assets - Jan 03, 2011
- Koda, former colleague shifted to hospital - Dec 09, 2009
- Three prisoners die mysteriously - Jun 05, 2011
- CBI sleuths probing Koda's scam cases to get security - Aug 16, 2010
- Koda to be quizzed separately by vigilance, enforcement officials - Dec 05, 2009
- Koda, ex-cabinet colleagues in jail on corruption charges (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- Questioning of Koda, cabinet colleagues continues (Lead) - Dec 07, 2009
- Koda, cabinet colleague questioned in jail - Dec 07, 2009