10 more people complain of blurred vision after free surgeryFebruary 10th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 10 (IANS) At least 10 more patients have complained of blurred vision and eye infection after undergoing free cataract surgery at an eye camp here, officials said Tuesday, two days after 22 people were rushed to hospital with similar complaints.
The patients had undergone cataract surgery in the last week of January at a primary health centre in Sarojini Nagar locality. Twenty-two patients, who had been operated upon Feb 6 at the health centre were Sunday night rushed to the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (CSMMU) after complaints of blurred vision, swelling and itching in their eyes, officials said.
In view of the 10 new cases reported Monday, health authorities have decided to screen all the patients who have been operated recently at the centre.
“We have records of the patients in our database and we have decided to constitute various teams of doctors and paramedical staff to visit the homes of the patients for an eye check-up,” Director General (Medical and Health) I.S. Srivastava told IANS Tuesday.
According to officials, in the last two months nearly 220 cataract operations have been performed at the Sarojini Nagar health centre at a free eye camp organised by doctors of CSMMU, which was formerly known as King George’s Medical College.
The state government has already placed two government doctors - Kanchan Banaudha and Shalini Singh - under suspension after the 22 patients complained of blurred vision.
“Following direction by the chief minister, action against three doctors has been taken. While two government doctors who performed the cataract surgery were suspended on Monday, the CSMMU’s ophthalmology department head Deepak Kumar was removed from the post,” said Srivastava.
The inquiry team constituted Monday has been instructed to submit its report within three days, he added.
- 22 complain of blurred vision after surgery in free camp - Feb 09, 2009
- 22 complain of blurred vision after surgery in free camp (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Andhra Government vows to take action in eye camp blinding incident - Oct 26, 2009
- Nine go blind after operation in Andhra - May 27, 2012
- Five people lose sight after surgery in Andhra - Dec 15, 2011
- Nine people lose eyesight after surgery in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 18, 2008
- Chhattisgarh denies three dead after operation - Oct 20, 2011
- 13 more blinded after cataract surgery - Oct 16, 2011
- Eleven lose sight after surgery at government camp - Oct 13, 2011
- Murder at health camp, say blinded patients - Oct 17, 2011
- 45 blinded: Congress seeks Rs.2 mn for each victim - Oct 18, 2011
- Doctors give new life to youth speared with two rods - Dec 30, 2009
- Now, a robotic way to hassle-free surgeries - May 21, 2012
- Cataract surgery improves mood, sleep in Alzheimer's - Oct 26, 2011
- 'Foolproof' steps against cheating in UP pre-medical tests - Jun 01, 2012