10-mn job loss feared in export sector by March (Lead)January 6th, 2009 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) The Indian export sector will lose nearly 10 million jobs by March following cancelled orders and higher transaction costs, a top official of an Indian exporters’ forum said here Tuesday.”This year is already bad for exporters and the next fiscal is only going to be worse. Exporters don’t have orders beyond January. The sector has already lost a million jobs and if the present trend continues, there will be approximately 10 million job losses in the export sector in India between now and March,” A. Sakthivel, president of the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO), told reporters.
“About 20 percent of the job loss will be in Tirupur, which accounts for Rs.12,000 crore (Rs.120 billion) of exports,” Saktivel added.
The export sector at present roughly employs 150 million people directly and indirectly.
“Fresh orders are drying up due to lower demand. Buyers are cancelling orders or rescheduling shipments. Apart from that, China’s price competitiveness is eating into Indian exports. Buyers are now also asking us to reduce prices even for already executed contracts,” Saktivel added.
According to him, Indian exporters also losing orders to Pakistan and Bangladesh.
India’s export figures already fell for the second successive month in November, and it is feared the country will miss its export target of $200 billion this fiscal.
Even if the country achieves exports of $170 billion, it should consider itself lucky, Saktivel said, adding: “And the picture will be gloomier next year as Indian exports will not exceed $160 billion, given the current economic scenario.”
“The fiscal stimulus announced by the government recently had all the necessary sops for the real estate and automobile sector, but the export sector was given a step-motherly treatment with only 2 percent subvention being offered,” said Saktivel.
- 'Export sector may lose 10 mn jobs by March' - Jan 06, 2009
- Textile workers demand ban on cotton yarn export - Nov 20, 2010
- Stimulus package will help achieve $200 bn exports target - Aug 23, 2010
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Government measures will help boost exports: Industry - Jun 05, 2012
- Anand Sharma pushes for sops to exporters in budget - Jun 03, 2009
- Steps to boost Indian apparel exports on anvil - Aug 07, 2012
- Exporters meet Mukherjee, ask for Rs.5,000-crore fund - Jun 02, 2009
- India may miss $300 billion export target: FIEO - Jan 30, 2012
- Crisis-hit export sector has wish list for government - May 21, 2009
- Dhaka apparel sector seeks relief - May 29, 2011
- Incentives to boost exports soon, says Sharma - Oct 07, 2011
- FIEO calls for restricted exports of cotton - Sep 04, 2010
- Iceland's volcanic ash hit India's exports as well (Comment) - Apr 25, 2010
- Colombian oil firm to export 12 mn barrels to India - Aug 16, 2012