10 militants, five security personnel killed in Afghanistan clashSeptember 13th, 2008 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, Sep 12 (Xinhua) At least 10 Taliban militants and five Afghan security guards were killed Friday in a fierce gun battle in western Afghanistan, officials said. The gun battle began after the insurgents ambushed a logistics convoy in Farah province, Governor Rohulla Amin said.
“The clash left 10 militants and five Afghan security guards dead,” Amin said.
“Three guards were missing and suspected of being kidnapped by Taliban insurgents,” he added.
On Thursday, the US-led coalition troops killed more than 10 militants and arrested two others during two separate operations in eastern Afghanistan, a coalition statement released here Friday said.
Taliban insurgents who staged a violent comeback three years ago have intensified their activities targeting Afghan and international troops across Afghanistan to mount pressure on the government despite around 70,000 foreign troops stationed in the war-torn country.
Conflicts and spiralling insurgency have claimed the lives of around 4,000 people, among them more than 800 civilians, so far this year.
- Eight die in Kabul attack after Obama trip (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Karzai again calls for national reconciliation - Jul 13, 2012
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- Dozens killed after militants ambush NATO convoy in western Afghanistan - Mar 30, 2012
- Eight killed in Kabul attack after Obama visit (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- 13 killed in Afghanistan - Jun 30, 2010
- 50 militants, 10 soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Sep 13, 2009
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 13 insurgents killed, 8 held in Afghanistan - Dec 10, 2011
- Blasts rock Kabul as security forces fight Taliban (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Kabul pact: Pakistan's India discomfort makes it hard, says US (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Pakistani troops kill 10 militants - Jan 29, 2010
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- 13 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 04, 2011
- Taliban kill 35 road workers: Afghan official - May 19, 2011