10 Maoists arrested in Andhra PradeshSeptember 4th, 2008 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 4 (IANS) Ten Maoists were arrested Thursday in Andhra Pradesh’s Warangal district and a cache of arms and ammunition was seized from them, the police said.The arrests were made in Warangal district in Telangana region, which was once the stronghold of Maoist movement.
Four of those arrested were from CPI-ML Praja Pratighanta faction. The remaining were suspected to be cadres of Communist Party of India (Maoist).
The police recovered 16 weapons and 1,200 bullets from the arrested Maoists.
The arrests were made at a time when the state police were anticipating increased Maoist violence in the state, especially in areas bordering Orissa and Chhattisgarh.
Maoist violence in the state has drastically come down over last couple of years but the police anticipate that the extremists could step up their activities before the elections scheduled to be held in March next year.
The police sources said Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakahapatnam district, which share borders with Orissa and Khammam, Warangal and Karimnagar districts having border with Chhattisgarh could see violence in the coming days in view of the relatively stronger Maoist movement in the neighbouring states.
In the biggest-ever attack, Maoists had killed 38 personnel of the elite anti-Maoist force Greyhounds by launching a surprise attack on their motor boat in Balimela reservoir in Orissa near the border with Visakhapatnam district in June this year.
- Andhra on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- High alert in Telangana as Maoists make a comeback - Dec 03, 2010
- Suspected Maoists kill two tribal youth in Andhra - Nov 27, 2011
- Andhra calls for steps to prevent regrouping of Maoists - Feb 01, 2011
- Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines held - Oct 09, 2011
- Cream of Maoist movement hails from Andhra - Nov 25, 2011
- States on high alert after Kishanji killing (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Greyhounds hunt for top Maoists in Visakhapatnam forests - Dec 18, 2010
- Violence in Telangana as TRS chief jailed ahead of 'fast-unto-death' (Third lead) - Nov 29, 2009
- Andhra Police arrests TRS chief, foils fast unto death plan - Nov 29, 2009
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Blockade brings Telangana train traffic to standstill - Jul 14, 2011
- Mixed response to shutdown call in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2012
- TRS chief jailed ahead of 'fast unto death (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2009
- Telangana activists disrupt government open forum - Jan 24, 2011