10 lose vision as cracker shops catch fireOctober 29th, 2008 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 29 (IANS) At least 20 people suffered burns, while 10 lost their vision, when cracker shops caught fire in Uttar Pradesh’s Kannauj district, police said Wednesday.”The condition of 10 people is stated to be serious. All the injured are undergoing treatment in the district hospital,” district police chief Prakash Tripathi told IANS over phone.
The accident took place Tuesday night in Tirwa locality, a market place in Kannauj, about 170 km from Lucknow.
Even as the exact cause behind the accident is yet to be ascertained, police said prima-facie it appears that the shops caught fire from cigarettes left behind by the customers.
The police clarified that all the crackers shops were authorised and were put up only after obtaining permission from the district administration.
- 10 lose sight as cracker shops catch fire (Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- 18 dead, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Fire in Amritsar cracker shop - Oct 23, 2011
- Three killed in fire cracker unit blast in Punjab - Apr 13, 2012
- Woman jumps off mall's fourth floor - Jul 29, 2010
- LIC office in Lucknow gutted - Sep 14, 2012
- 35 dead as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Cop's body found on rail tracks in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 07, 2011
- Nine houses burgled in one night in south Delhi - Mar 06, 2012
- Three of family murdered - Dec 01, 2011
- Hot water thrown on boy in Uttar Pradesh - May 22, 2012
- Woman killed, two injured as car catches fire - Oct 18, 2011
- Mob goes berserk after child killed in cracker market fire - Oct 16, 2009
- 5 killed in Uttar Pradesh cracker blasts - Apr 23, 2012
- Five killed in accident, driver commits suicide - May 20, 2010