10 killed in sectarian clashes in Cairo (Lead)March 9th, 2011 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 9 (IANS) Ten people were killed and over a 100 injured in overnight clashes between Muslim and Christian groups in the Egyptian capital, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The health and population ministry said Wednesday that 10 people were killed and 110 injured in the violence.
The clashes took place in the Muqattam, Qalaa and Sayeda Eisha districts of Cairo, the MENA news agency reported quoting Sherif Zamel, head of the ministry’s ambulance and emergency division. He said the dead and the injured were brought to various hospitals.
The violence, which continued for the fourth day Tuesday, escalated after Coptic protestors blocked a main road in front of the Egyptian Radio and TV building in Cairo for over two hours.
The protests by Coptic Christians began after a church was torched in a village in the Helwan governorate.
They demanded ending of the sectarian attacks against them and rebuilding the burnt Shahedain church.
They also called for providing protection for the Copts and compensation for the losses suffered by them.
- Nine die in Egyptian sectarian violence (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Egypt's military rulers approve anti-discrimination law - Oct 16, 2011
- Egyptian man sentenced to death for Christmas Eve mass shooting - Jan 18, 2011
- Coptic Pope Shenouda III dies in Cairo - Mar 18, 2012
- Egypt amends law to tackle discrimination - Oct 16, 2011
- Egyptian finance minister resigns after clashes - Oct 11, 2011
- 30 injured in clashes in front of US embassy in Egypt - Sep 13, 2012
- Egyptians launch Christian Brotherhood challenging Islamists - Jul 06, 2012
- 70 injured in clashes in front of US embassy in Egypt (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- 30 hurt in Muslim-Christian clashes in Egypt - Mar 13, 2010
- Clashes erupt after Egypt church shooting - Jan 07, 2010
- Calm returns to Egyptian town after riots (Lead) - Mar 13, 2010
- Pope prays for peace in Egypt - Feb 08, 2011
- Christian-Muslim fighting resumes in Egypt - Jan 09, 2010
- One killed in Cairo, protestors confront security forces - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: ambulance, cairo, christian groups, coptic christians, copts, egyptian capital, egyptian radio, emergency division, helwan, losses, muslim, news agency, protestors, protests, qalaa, radio and tv, sectarian attacks, sectarian clashes, violence, xinhua