10 killed as jeep plunges into ravine in Western GhatsMarch 30th, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, March 30 (IANS) Ten people were killed and six injured when a jeep in which they were travelling lost control and plunged into a 100-feet deep ravine near Mahad, around 170 km south from here, said the police. The incident occurred around 7.30 a.m. when the Pune registered Mahindra jeep was negotiating a sharp curve on the Majheri Ghat, in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra.
According to police constable Sudhakar Waman More of Mahad MIDC police station, the jeep driver Shashikant Dhumal (54) lost control at the curve and the vehicle plunged into the ravine.
Since there was thin traffic at that time, the report of the accident was delayed by several hours and then police teams and locals reached the spot. The jeep (MH-0-14-B-3652) has been completely destroyed in the accident.
All the victims were from Bhor town near Pune and had gone to Raigad district to attend a community programme in Waghodi village near Mahad. More said they were returning home this morning when the tragedy took place.
The deceased have been identified as: Vishal S. Dhumal (15), Chander D. Umratkar (25), Kondiba J. Umratkar (32), Ganpat K. Pol (28), Ankush V. Sanas (45), Sunil M. Pol (34), Chander R. Pol (45), Dilip G. Dhonde (41), Swapnil R. Desale (32) and the jeep driver Dhumal.
The injured are: Hanumant Kondalekar (35), Ashok Bhalerao (40), Pradeep S. Pol (14), Namdeo T. Pol (14), Pradeep G. Khade (40), Krishnaram D. Vinsure (40).
- 17 killed in Indonesia bus accident - Feb 08, 2011
- Businessman shot dead in Maharashtra - Jun 20, 2011
- 15 killed in Pakistan bus accident - Feb 20, 2012
- Death toll in Philippine jeepney accident reaches 11 - May 15, 2012
- Bosnian school bus plunges down ravine - Apr 17, 2012
- Nine of family, driver die in Maharashtra accident - Dec 12, 2010
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- Bus plunges into ravine in southwest China, killing 15 - Mar 13, 2012
- 19 dead in Peru bus accident - Feb 26, 2011
- 15 killed in Peru road accident (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Two Myanmarese killed in Malaysia bus accident - May 26, 2012
- 20 killed as bus plunges into ravine in Philippines (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- 42 killed, 24 injured in central Morocco bus accident - Sep 05, 2012
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012