10 die in attack on Mexican barAugust 15th, 2012 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
Monterrey (Mexico), Aug 15 (IANS/EFE) Ten people were shot dead at a bar in Monterrey, the capital of the northern Mexican state of Nuevo Leon, by gunmen who identified themselves as members of a drug cartel, an official said.
The gunmen arrived at the Matehuala bar in downtown Monterrey around 11 p.m. Monday and opened fire on the people inside, Nuevo Leon Security Council spokesman Jorge Domene told EFE.
The gunmen told the bar’s patrons and employees that they belonged to the Gulf cartel, one of Mexico’s largest criminal organizations.
Four people were pronounced dead at the scene and four died while being treated at a hospital in Monterrey, Mexico’s largest industrial city, Domene said.
Investigators later found the bodies of two more people in the bar’s air ducts, where they had apparently tried to hide, Domene said.
Four of the victims worked at the Matehuala bar, Domene said.
- Kidnapping victims held in Mexican jail - Oct 07, 2011
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- Former lawmaker's body found in Mexico - Sep 13, 2012
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Eight cops arrested in Mexico for sexual assaults - Apr 12, 2012
- Footballer-turned-gangster arrested in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- 6 policemen kidnapped in Mexican city - Mar 12, 2011
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- 5 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway - Feb 08, 2011
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Kidnapped Mexican singer found dead - Feb 13, 2012
- Five shot dead at disco in Mexican city - Apr 16, 2012
- Mexican army kills eight in shootout - Feb 19, 2011
- 25 killed in Mexico clash - Sep 03, 2010
- Two Mexicans hung from bridge, shot dead - Aug 05, 2011