10 cops killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead)August 19th, 2011 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 19 (IANS) At least 10 policemen were killed as Maoist rebels Friday attacked a police contingent in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region, a police officer said.
“There is a massive attack on dozens of policemen in the jungles of Bijapur district. We are struggling to take reinforcements to the attack site since the area is heavily mined and densely forested,” Bijapur police chief R.N. Das told IANS over phone.
The attack site is located some 500 km south of Raipur.
The attack took place in the evening when dozens of policemen were returning from a jungle terrain on foot and in a tractor that was blown to smithereens.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Raman Singh held an emergency meet here with the state police chief Anil Navaney and Chief Secretary P. Joy Oommen to discuss how to rush support to a few policemen reportedly critically injured in the ambush and who were lying in a pools of blood at the attack site.
- 10 killed as Maoists ambush police party (Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Maoists attack police party in Chhattisgarh - Aug 19, 2011
- Chhattisgarh fears more red strikes - Aug 20, 2011
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- 10 policemen missing after Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh - May 24, 2011
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists run for cover in their safest zone in Chhattisgarh - Mar 20, 2012
- Maoists ambush security patrol in Chhattisgarh, kill five (Night Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- Six held in raids at Maoists hideout - Mar 19, 2011
- Maoists kill three policemen in Chhattisgarh - Mar 14, 2011
- Maoist strike hits life in Chhattisgarh's Bastar - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: ambush, chief minister, chief secretary, contingent, cops, dozens, jungle terrain, jungles, maoist, maoist rebels, massive attack, police chief, police officer, policemen, pools, raman singh, reinforcements, smithereens, state police