10 circus lions dying on Russian-Latvian borderFebruary 15th, 2012 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) About 10 lions are facing death due to cold and hunger on the Russian-Latvian border, as their documents are not filled correctly and Russian officials are not letting them through.
They belong to a Ukrainian animal-tamer Vladislav Goncharov.
“The vans with lions arrived from Monte-Carlo, where they participated in a festival. Their documents are filled in line with EU standards…for that reason, officials do not wish to let them through,” said Maksim Nikulin, director of the Moscow Circus on Tsvetnoy Boulevard in central Russia.
A performance involving Goncharov’s lions was scheduled in the Moscow Circus on Tsvetnoy Boulevard Feb 23.
The vans in which the lions are being transported are cold despite the fact that they are equipped with heating systems. The animals will soon run out of food, Nikulin continued.
“There are rare white lions among Goncarov’s lions. No one will let them get back as they have crossed the border and the workers’ visas have already expired,” he added.
Russia’s deputy agricultural minister Yevgeny Nepoklonov who could settle the problem is currently on a business trip and will arrive Friday.
“Only personal intervention can help now. They should understand that we will fill the documents correctly when we get entrance permission,” Nikulin added.
- Moscow circus tiger urinates on visitors - Jul 13, 2012
- Russian interior ministry orders new drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to stop circus aid after 2020 - Apr 06, 2012
- Russian circus man sets new Guinness record - Nov 01, 2011
- Van Damme, Chuck Norris to attend boxing event in Russia - Aug 15, 2012
- Nine Russian circus bears die touring Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Russia to release Japanese POW records - Aug 29, 2012
- Japanese diplomat robbed in Moscow - Oct 23, 2010
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- Dzyuba to miss World Cup qualifiers - Sep 05, 2012
- Five killed in car accident near Moscow - Jul 22, 2012
- China no threat to Russia: Putin - Oct 18, 2011
- Greece to ban animals in circuses - Mar 31, 2011
- Petrescu confirmed as Dynamo coach - Aug 17, 2012
- Moscow airports fined over facilities for disabled - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: agricultural minister, animals, boulevard, business trip, central russia, facing death, goncharov, heating systems, hunger, monte carlo, moscow circus, personal intervention, ria novosti, russian officials, vans, white lions, yevgeny