1 shot dead, 10 burnt alive in caste clashMarch 11th, 2011 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 11 (IANS) Ten people, including five children, were burnt alive Friday by supporters of a village headman murdered earlier in the day in a long-running feud between two families belonging to rival castes in Maharajganj district in the eastern-most corner of Uttar Pradesh bordering Nepal.
According to Special Director General of Police Brij Lal, the victims belonged to two Brahmin families, who had an old feud with a Thakur family over some agricultural land in Digahi village.
“It was the murder of the Thakur family head Dina Nath Singh, earlier during the day that provoked the attack by his supporters on the family of Dwarka Dube and Adya Dube,” Brij Lal told reporters here.
Even though police had promptly arrested five members of the two Dube familes in connection with the murder, supporters of Singh, who was also the local gram pradhan, surrounded the Dube home, pelted stones at it and bolted all exit points before setting it ablaze, he added.
Five members of Adya Dube’s family and five of Dwarka Dube’s who remained trapped inside the bolted house choked due to the smoke, before being burnt to ashes.
“The only Dube family members who survived were those who had already been arrested in connection with the murder and taken away to the nearest police station, about 15 km away,” Brij Lal said.
“As many as 40 people have been arrested in connection with the attack and killings, while a heavy police contingent has been deployed in Digahi village to ensure peace and calm,” he added.
- Congress, BJP demand probe in Maharajganj killings - Mar 16, 2011
- BJP demands Mayawati resignation - Mar 12, 2011
- Man shoots son dead over serving mutton (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Teenager kills, burns parents in Haryana - May 14, 2012
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Suspected honour killing in Punjab - Jul 04, 2011
- Women held for trying to block Mayawati's convoy - Feb 06, 2011
- Six of family killed in Himachal accident - Apr 01, 2012
- Samajwadi Party leader behind attack on minister: Police - Jul 15, 2010
- Three tribal youth get life terms for murder - Feb 08, 2012
- BSP MP arrested in murder case - Dec 11, 2011
- Eight tribals burnt to death in Maharashtra (Lead) - Feb 15, 2010
- No arrest in village headman killing - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: adya, agricultural land, brahmin, brij, caste clash, castes, contingent, director general, dube, dwarka, exit points, family members, killings, lal, march 11, nath, nepal, peace, police station, two families