1 killed, many injured as LPG tanker explodesAugust 28th, 2012 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kannur (Kerala), Aug 28 (IANS) A woman was killed when an LPG tanker lorry burst into flames after an accident and set her house nearby on fire, police here said Tuesday. Thirty-four people were injured in the accident.
The incident occurred when the lorry carrying liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) overturned after hitting a divider around 11.30 p.m. Monday.
While the driver and a helper ran for safety, the vehicle caught fire and the flames engulfed five houses and some shops nearby.
A 50-year-old woman, Sreelatha, died in the fire. She was sleeping, when her house, 200 metres from the accident site, caught fire. She succumbed to her injuries Tuesday.
The condition of seven of those injured is stated to be serious, said doctors. Twenty-seven more people suffered from burn injuries and are being treated in Kannur and Kozhikode hospitals.
“We were around five km from the accident spot and heard a huge explosion and bright lights,” said a witness. “Had there been no heavy rain at that time, the disaster would have been greater.”
After the accident, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy rushed to Kannur Tuesday and met district authorities.
- LPG tanker explosion kills two (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Toll in Kerala tanker explosion rises to 14 - Sep 01, 2012
- Move products by rail: Court to oil firms - Sep 20, 2012
- Four injured in Delhi cylinder blast - Oct 22, 2010
- Two houseboats go up in flames - Aug 30, 2012
- Compensation for Kerala lorry blast victims - Sep 03, 2012
- Four injured in Delhi cylinder blast now stable (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Four killed, 25 injured in Bengal road accident - Aug 26, 2011
- Eight dead in Tamil Nadu accident - Nov 06, 2011
- Chronology of major Indian train accidents since 2000 - Jul 30, 2012
- Flames, hot tongs kill woman visiting quack - Apr 13, 2011
- Woman killed, two injured as car catches fire - Oct 18, 2011
- With 30 funerals, Kerala in mourning after plane crash - May 23, 2010
- Jagathy recovering well post surgery - Mar 14, 2012
- Tanker accident jams highway - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: bright lights, burst, chief minister, disaster, district authorities, divider, doctors, explosion, fire police, five houses, flames, heavy rain, hospitals, liquefied petroleum gas, old woman, oommen chandy, witness