‘Government committed to free, fair elections in Kashmir’July 20th, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 20 (IANS) Condemning the increased militant activities in Jammu and Kashmir, Defence Minister A.K. Antony Sunday praised the Indian Army’s role in the restive state where polls are due later this year. “What happened in Kashmir is unfortunate and the militants are out to create trouble. They do not want to have a free and fair election. But we will ensure that free and fair elections are held and for that we will do everything possible,” said Antony.
Antony was referring to Saturday’s militant attack on an army convoy in Srinagar that left seven soldiers dead and at least 14 injured.
“We are very proud of the armed forces personnel who are doing a great duty for the country by even risking their lives,” Antony told reporters here.
Antony said even though the “climate” was very hot in Delhi, “I have come here to take part in the celebrations of the Indian Air Force unit here”.
He apparently referred to the political crisis in New Delhi that arose after the Left parties withdrew outside support to the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government.
The government is facing a crucial confidence vote in parliament Tuesday and the UPA is trying to cobble up the magical number of 272 MPs, much needed for its survival in power.
- Antony campaigns, showers praise on Chandy government - May 29, 2012
- Terror in Kabul: Antony asks armed forces to be vigilant - Apr 16, 2012
- Are there more tunnels on India-Pakistan border? - Jul 29, 2012
- Antony shielding the corrupt: BJP - Mar 31, 2012
- Antony confident of UDF victory in Kerala - Apr 13, 2011
- AFSPA: Omar meets PM, Chidambaram; no time limit, says Antony - Nov 15, 2011
- Army movement was nothing unusual, says Antony (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Army chief age issue a closed chapter: Antony - Feb 17, 2012
- LDF will be tough opposition: Achuthanandan - May 13, 2011
- Free drugs and more to mark UDF anniversary - Jun 04, 2012
- Relatives suspect foul play in army jawan's suicide - Aug 10, 2012
- Antony rules out repealing army's special powers in Kashmir - Feb 17, 2011
- Antony files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 15, 2010
- Crucial CPI-M politburo, central committee meetings from Tuesday - Jan 16, 2012
- Left to decide Thursday on presidential candidate - Jun 17, 2012