UNSC likely to call urgent meeting on Preah Vihear conflictJuly 24th, 2008 - 3:39 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Permanent Representative of Thailand to the United Nations, Don Pramudwinai (ดอน ปรมัติถ์วินัย), says the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is likely to call an urgent meeting on the Thai-Cambodian dispute over Preah Vihear.
Mr Don says the UNSC’s meeting today to discuss Cambodia’s request for an urgent meeting on the Preah Vihear conflict has not yet reached a resolution whether to hold the meeting or not. He says there are three possibilities of UNSC’s decision on the matter. First, UNSC lets the two countries resolve the conflict by themselves by bilateral talks with the help of ASEAN and UNSC. Second, ASEAN actively oversees the matter without UNSC and third UNSC plays an important role in the matter. The second possibility is least supported by the UNSC meeting today.
No matter how UNSC decides on the matter, Thailand needs to clearly show its stance, the permanent representative says. He also says he is not concerned over the Preah Vihear dispute as Thailand has a strong and professional legal team.
The permanent secretary says he has not yet officially discussed the matter with the Cambodian Ambassador to UN.
- Thai PM says Cambodian troops must leave border to solve dispute - May 08, 2011
- Thai-Cambodia clashes continue into fifth day - Apr 26, 2011
- Cambodia favours ceasefire with Thailand under ASEAN aegis - Feb 17, 2011
- UN to form ad hoc meeting to decide on Thailand and Cambodia - Jul 23, 2008
- Thai-Cambodia border clashes enter 11th day - May 02, 2011
- Thai-Cambodia peace talks postponed as clashes continue - Apr 27, 2011
- Thailand, Cambodia to hold border talks - Aug 12, 2011
- Thailand quits World Heritage Convention - Jun 27, 2011
- Thailand and Cambodia agree to ceasefire - Apr 28, 2011
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to remove troops from disputed border - Sep 16, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- Thai UN Rep says Security Council to clarify situation by midnight - Jul 24, 2008
- Hindus upset at damage to landmark Hindu temple by Thai-Cambodian clashes - Feb 07, 2011
- Cambodia and Thailand continue border clashes for the fourth day - Apr 26, 2011
- UN to rule on Cambodia request tomorrow - Jul 24, 2008