Two killed as attacks continue in southern ThailandJune 23rd, 2011 - 5:44 am ICT by BNO News
YALA, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) — Two people were killed on Wednesday as violent attacks continue in restive southern Thailand, the Bangkok Post reported.
A former assistant village chief was murdered on Wednesday morning in Raman district of Yala province. Raman police station deputy chief Ampai Chumchuay said the 37-year-old man was shot dead by a motorcycle gunman. His wife told police that he was on his way to his rubber plantation on a motorcycle when a gunman on another motorcycle attacked him.
In a separate attack in Raman district, a cooking teacher was killed in a drive-by shooting last night. According to police, two men on a motorcycle attacked a 48-year-old man as he was returning home from the market on a motorcycle.
Police were investigating whether the attack was the result of personal conflict or the work of southern separatist bandits.
On Monday, a local leader and canvasser for the Democrat Party was shot dead and his wife seriously wounded in Yala. Police believed the attack might have been politically motivated, but they had not ruled out the possibility of southern insurgents having committed the murder.
Meanwhile, a traffic policeman and a villager were also killed on Monday in separate attacks by suspected militants in Pattani province.
Since 2004, around 4,300 people have been killed in Thailand’s southern regions of Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, as local insurgent groups renewed their fighting efforts against the government. More than 7,000 people have been injured in violent incidents launched by separatist militants.
- 10 wounded in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Apr 02, 2011
- Five Buddhist villagers killed in southern Thailand - Feb 04, 2011
- Car bomb injures 17 in southern Thailand - Feb 13, 2011
- Three militants killed in southern Thailand - Jun 03, 2011
- One dead, 12 injured in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Feb 21, 2011
- Bomb kills 8 people in southern Thailand - Jan 25, 2011
- Thai PM orders investigation into army shooting of four Muslims - Feb 01, 2012
- At least 3 killed in southern Thailand prison riot - Sep 05, 2011
- Suspected militants kill two Muslims at mosque in southern Thailand - Sep 17, 2011
- Bomb blasts in southern Thailand kill 3, injure dozens - Sep 17, 2011
- Seven killed, 70 hurt in Thai bombings - Mar 31, 2012
- Teaching is a deadly job in Thailand - Sep 21, 2010
- Car bomb kills 1, injures 23 in south Thailand - Apr 18, 2011
- Three bomb explosions in southern Thailand kill 2 - Jun 24, 2011
- Bomb injures 28 in southern Thailand provincial capital - Oct 19, 2009
Tags: bangkok post, bno, canvasser, democrat party, insurgent groups, motorcycle police, narathiwat, personal conflict, rubber plantation, separatist militants, southern regions, southern thailand, station deputy, thailand yala, traffic policeman, village chief, villager, violent attacks, violent incidents, yala thailand