Three killed, 118 injured in Thailand explosionsSeptember 17th, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, Sep 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A series of explosions Friday night in Thailand’s town of Sungai Kolok left three people dead and 118 injured, media reports said Saturday.
Three bombs placed in two parked motorcycles and a car exploded within 30 minutes in the centre of Sungai Kolok, located in the tourist area of Thai-Malaysian border about 800 km south of Bangkok.
A motorcycle packed with explosives blasted at about 7 p.m. The explosion killed one office worker and injured more than 20 people in the street.
Fifteen minutes later, a second motorcycle blasted about 300 metres away from the first explosion between a bar and the Thai telecommunications company office. Several dozen Thai and Malaysian people were injured.
At 7:20 p.m., a car exploded in front of the Merlin Hotel. The blast killed a Malaysian tourist and injured several dozens of people, damaged cars and a facade of the building.
Police and security forces cordoned off the town and arrested two suspects, reported Bangkok Post.
Mobile communication in the area was switched off in order to prevent any further bombings as militant separatists often use mobile phones to activate remote detonators.
- Bomb blasts in southern Thailand kill 3, injure dozens - Sep 17, 2011
- Two Iranian suspects in Bangkok blast released - Feb 28, 2012
- Iran envoy blames Israel for Bangkok bombings - Feb 19, 2012
- Twin blasts kill 12 at Syria funeral - Aug 29, 2012
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Third Iranian suspect in Bangkok bombing held in Malaysia (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Bangkok bombing's Iranian suspect held in Malaysia (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- 19 injured in Afghan mosque blast - Aug 03, 2012
- Four injured in twin blasts in Bangkok - Feb 14, 2012
- Iran makes arrests in scientist's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- Car blast kills four in Russia - Jan 27, 2011
- One dead, 12 injured in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Feb 21, 2011
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- One-armed Russian bombmaker to face trial - Aug 29, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: bangkok post, bombings, detonators, dg, explosives, facade, fifteen minutes, first explosion, kolok, malaysian border, malaysian tourist, mobile communication, office worker, ria novosti, security forces, separatists, series of explosions, telecommunications company, thailand explosions, tourist area