Thai smuggler caught in Indonesia after swallowing 1,200 ecstasy pillsDecember 21st, 2010 - 1:14 am ICT by BNO News
DENPASAR, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) — Authorities have arrested a Thai woman after she tried to enter the Indonesian resort island of Bali with approximately 1,200 ecstasy pills, the Jakarta Globe reported on Monday.
Uemduen Sophawat, 24, was detained on Thursday after customs officials noted she was nervous when she arrived at Bali’s international airport from Bangkok. During a subsequent body search, officers found her to have a hard stomach.
Sophawat was then sent to a nearby hospital for further examination where doctors discovered 1,280 ecstasy pills in her stomach which had been wrapped in plastic. The package weighed about 402 grams and is valued to be worth about 448 million rupiah ($50,000).
“The pills were in a number of plastic wraps which she swallowed about 90 times,” said Bali customs chief Made Wijaya, according to the Jakarta Globe.
Sophawat claimed that an Israeli man had offered her $656 to smuggle the narcotics into Bali’s Ngurah Rai Airport. The woman, who said she is a dancer in her native country, was taken to Bali’s Customs Office on Monday for further questioning.
The alleged Thai dancer faces life imprisonment or the death penalty if she is convicted of drug smuggling. Bali is one of Asia’s most popular destinations for Western tourists. However, Indonesia has one of the world’s toughest anti-drug laws.
- Australian jailed in Bali for smuggling drugs in stomach - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian questioned over Bali smuggling - May 29, 2012
- Four Britons, Indian held in Bali cocaine case - May 28, 2012
- Rabies outbreak death toll reaches 100 in Indonesia's Bali - Oct 15, 2010
- Garuda Indonesia orders 11 more Airbus widebody aircraft - Apr 12, 2012
- Indonesia allocates $2.7 bn for poor - Mar 03, 2012
- Indonesia to buy missiles from US - Aug 27, 2012
- Fuel price uncertainty hits Indonesia's bond, currency markets - Mar 17, 2012
- Indonesian resort island of Bali bans smoking in all public places - Nov 29, 2011
- US firm invests in Indonesia's media industry - Oct 18, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Over half of Indonesia's forex reserves in US dollars - Dec 06, 2011
- Indonesian TV cameraman arrested in Good Friday bomb plot - Apr 23, 2011
- Indonesia may become top ecstasy drug maker in Asia - Mar 01, 2012
- Pak national with 98 packs of heroine in stomach nabbed in Bangkok - Dec 09, 2009
Tags: bno, body search, customs office, customs officials, death penalty, drug smuggling, ecstasy pills, indonesian resort, island of bali, israeli man, jakarta, life imprisonment, narcotics, nearby hospital, ngurah rai airport, smuggler, thai dancer, thai woman, western tourists, wraps