Thai flood death toll reaches 244October 7th, 2011 - 7:49 pm ICT by BNO News
BANGKOK (BNO NEWS) — Heavy monsoon rains across the Asian country of Thailand have left at least 244 people killed in recent months, according to the latest reports released on Friday.
Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director Wibul Sanguanpong said the ongoing flooding has hit 201 districts in 28 provinces, affecting 2.6 million people and damaging more than 7.5 million rai (1.2 million hectares) of farmland. As of Thursday, 244 people are confirmed dead while three others remain missing, the Bangkok Post reported.
Wibul also said the amount of water in major dam reservoirs is still at a critical level and warned of flash flooding in several low-lying areas. In Ayutthaya province, authorities alerted residents to evacuate their belongings to safe ground immediately as more flooding was expected to hit the area in the coming days.
Ayutthaya governor Witthaya Piewpong said that flooding in the province is expected to reach a critical point in the next days as overflow from the Lop Buri, Pasak and Chao Phraya rivers would add to existing flood woes in the province. At least one hospital has been temporarily closed because of flooding, according to the Bangkok Post.
In addition, inmates at the Ayutthaya Central Prison were also being evacuated after the prison compound was flooded. Corrections Department deputy director-general Somsak Rangsiyopas said about 600 of the total 1,766 inmates had been moved to nearby prisons.
- Death toll rises to 41 in Thailand's flood-stricken areas - Oct 25, 2010
- Thailand flood toll rises to 754 - Dec 22, 2011
- Thai flood toll rises to 446 - Nov 05, 2011
- Five-day holiday as Bangkok residents flee floods - Oct 27, 2011
- Floods affect 8 million in Asia: UN - Oct 15, 2011
- Thai flood toll reaches 269 - Oct 11, 2011
- Thailand's flood death toll rises to 112 - Sep 19, 2011
- Over 750,000 hit by storms in China - May 01, 2012
- Water level in Chao Praya river is being closely monitored - Sep 24, 2008
- Thai computer hard drive industry hit by floods - Nov 22, 2011
- 5,300 jobless after Thai floods hit 20,000 firms - Nov 06, 2011
- 160,000 people affected due to China storm - Jun 27, 2011
- Thai flood worst in decades, says PM; toll 252 - Oct 07, 2011
- 470,000 evacuated as typhoon Nesat lashes China - Oct 01, 2011
- Thai flood toll reaches 600 - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: asian country, bangkok post, bno, central prison, Chao Phraya, critical level, critical point, dam reservoirs, department director, deputy director general, disaster prevention, flood woes, heavy monsoon rains, inmates, lop buri, pasak, prevention and mitigation, prison compound, rai 1, somsak