Suspected militants kill two Muslims at mosque in southern ThailandSeptember 17th, 2011 - 12:38 am ICT by BNO News
YALA (BNO NEWS) — Suspected militants shot dead two Muslims and wounded three others during Friday prayers at a mosque in Thailand’s restive south, officials said said.
The shooting happened at the Anul Yakin mosque in Yala province after the two victims, who were identified as a police officer and a defense volunteer, joined other Thai Muslims for Friday prayers.
According to the Thai News Agency MCOT, two men walked into the mosque and opened fire at the five victims before leaving the scene. Two of the victims died at the scene, while the three other persons who were wounded were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Separatist groups in the southern regions, which are for a majority Muslim, have brought constant and violent uprisings in the region for the past 6 years. Over 4,800 people have died and more than 7,000 others have been injured during this period.
On Thursday, five soldiers were killed and another was seriously injured during an ambush in Pattani province. Police said a roadside bomb targeted their military vehicle before militants opened fire at the soldiers, who were already injured from the blast.
- Bomb blasts in southern Thailand kill 3, injure dozens - Sep 17, 2011
- Five Buddhist villagers killed in southern Thailand - Feb 04, 2011
- Bomb kills 8 people in southern Thailand - Jan 25, 2011
- Car bomb injures 17 in southern Thailand - Feb 13, 2011
- Thai PM orders investigation into army shooting of four Muslims - Feb 01, 2012
- Three bomb explosions in southern Thailand kill 2 - Jun 24, 2011
- Three militants killed in southern Thailand - Jun 03, 2011
- One dead, 12 injured in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Feb 21, 2011
- Two killed as attacks continue in southern Thailand - Jun 23, 2011
- Car bomb kills 1, injures 23 in south Thailand - Apr 18, 2011
- Blasts in southern Thailand injure at least 15 - Oct 25, 2010
- Bomb injures 28 in southern Thailand provincial capital - Oct 19, 2009
- 10 wounded in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Apr 02, 2011
- Teaching is a deadly job in Thailand - Sep 21, 2010
- Thai-Cambodian border clashes resume after 'ceasefire' - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: 6 years, ambush, bno, military vehicle, mosque, muslim, nearby hospital, police officer, prayers, roadside bomb, separatist groups, southern regions, southern thailand, thai news agency, thailand yala, two men, two muslims, uprisings, volunteer