Strong 6.8 earthquake rocks northeast MyanmarMarch 24th, 2011 - 10:28 pm ICT by BNO News
YANGON, BURMA (BNO NEWS) — A powerful earthquake struck the northeastern region of Burma Thursday evening, near its border with Laos, China, and Thailand; and was felt as far away as Bangkok, Thailand, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said.
The 6.8-magnitude earthquake at 8:25 p.m. local time and was centered about 89 kilometers (55 miles) north of Chiang Rai, Thailand and 772 kilometers (479 miles) north of Bangkok. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep. The initial reading registered a 7.0-magnitude earthquake, but it was revised down to 6.8.
The earthquake was too far inland to generate a tsunami warning, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.
No damage or injuries were immediately reported.
- Powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, deaths reported - Mar 25, 2011
- At least 11 dead after powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, surrounding countries - Mar 25, 2011
- Death toll rises to 42 after quake rocks Myanmar, neighboring countries - Mar 25, 2011
- 6.8-magnitude quake strikes north east Myanmar - Mar 24, 2011
- Myanmar/Thailand shaken by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake - Mar 24, 2011
- Deep 6.8-magnitude earthquake strikes off East Timor; no damage - Aug 30, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Strong 6.6-magnitude earthquake rocks Vanuatu - Dec 29, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: bangkok thailand, bno, burma, chiang rai thailand, china, earthquake rocks, initial reading, kilometers, laos, local time, magnitude earthquake, myanmar yangon, northeastern region, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, powerful earthquake, tsunami, tsunami warning center, u s geological survey, usgs