Powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, deaths reportedMarch 25th, 2011 - 1:00 am ICT by BNO News
YANGON, BURMA (BNO NEWS) — A powerful earthquake struck the northeastern region of Myanmar (Burma) on Thursday evening, near its border with Laos, China, and Thailand, seismologists said.
The 7.0-magnitude earthquake at 8.25 p.m. local time (1355 GMT) was centered in Shan state of Myanmar, about 89 kilometers (55 miles) north of Chiang Rai in Thailand and 772 kilometers (479 miles) north of Bangkok. It struck about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Myanmar Department of Meteorology and Hydrology (DMH).
A seismologist at the DMH said there were reports of buildings having cracked and power outages, but had no information on casualties. “We are gathering that information right now,” he said
The Xinhua news agency in China however reported that at least 10 people were killed as a result of landslides and a building collapse in Shan state. In Thailand, local media reported that a 55-year-old man was killed in Chiang Rai when a wall fell over him.
- At least 11 dead after powerful earthquake rocks Myanmar, surrounding countries - Mar 25, 2011
- Death toll rises to 42 after quake rocks Myanmar, neighboring countries - Mar 25, 2011
- Strong 6.8 earthquake rocks northeast Myanmar - Mar 24, 2011
- Myanmar earthquake collapsed Baptist church, killing 25 - May 25, 2011
- 6.8-magnitude quake strikes north east Myanmar - Mar 24, 2011
- 7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Thai drug organization blamed for killing 13 crew members on Chinese cargo ships - Oct 11, 2011
- Over 25 dead as 6.8-magnitude quake strikes Myanmar - Mar 25, 2011
- Myanmar/Thailand shaken by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake - Mar 24, 2011
- Strong quake rocks China-Myanmar border region, casualties unknown - Mar 10, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits off Norwegian island, no tsunami alert - Jan 29, 2011
- Two strong aftershocks rock Japan minutes apart - Mar 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Australia, no damage - Mar 24, 2012
- At least 19 dead, 168 injured injured after quake devastates SW China county - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: bno, building collapse, casualties, chiang rai, department of meteorology, earthquake rocks, hydrology, kilometers, landslides, local media, magnitude earthquake, myanmar burma, northeastern region, power outages, powerful earthquake, seismologist, seismologists, shallow earthquake, shan state, xinhua news agency