One dead, 12 injured in bomb blast in southern ThailandFebruary 21st, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by BNO News
YALA, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) — One woman on Monday was killed and at least 12 people were injured after a bomb blast in the southern Yala province in Thailand, the Bangkok Post reported.
The explosion took place in front of a supermarket near an old movie theater at about 4:35 p.m. local time. The explosive device was hidden in a motorcycle in Yala’s Muang district.
After the fatal attack, police were rushed to the area and mobile phone networks were shut down in the area in order to prevent possible further attacks. Authorities said that the bomb was detonated using mobile phone signals.
The blast caused a police care and other vehicles parked nearby the supermarket to be set on fire. After firefighters controlled the flames, the wounded were transported to a local hospital.
An investigation was launched and police took the closed circuit cameras in order to examine and determine who detonated the bomb. No group has claimed responsibility for the terror attack.
Monday’s blast took place approximately 100 meters away from the February 13 bomb blast that caused an estimated 10 million baht ($327,472) in damages. In addition, eighteen people were injured after a car bomb exploded In Yala’s business center.
On Sunday, several businesses in Thailand’s southern province of Narathiwat, including about 60 karaoke bars, remained closed following Saturday night’s shootings and car bomb. Two females employed at a karaoke bar were injured after a shooting took place, and about 30 minutes later, a car bomb exploded around 100 meters away from the initial scene, injuring at least 17 people at a restaurant.
Since 2004, around 4,000 people have been killed in Thailand’s southern regions of Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, as local insurgent groups renewed their fighting efforts against the government.
- Car bomb kills 1, injures 23 in south Thailand - Apr 18, 2011
- Bomb blasts in southern Thailand kill 3, injure dozens - Sep 17, 2011
- Seven killed, 70 hurt in Thai bombings - Mar 31, 2012
- Car bomb injures 17 in southern Thailand - Feb 13, 2011
- 10 wounded in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Apr 02, 2011
- Bomb kills 8 people in southern Thailand - Jan 25, 2011
- Two killed as attacks continue in southern Thailand - Jun 23, 2011
- Three militants killed in southern Thailand - Jun 03, 2011
- Three bomb explosions in southern Thailand kill 2 - Jun 24, 2011
- Bomb attack in Thailand kills 3 soldiers - Jul 03, 2010
- At least 3 killed in southern Thailand prison riot - Sep 05, 2011
- Five Buddhist villagers killed in southern Thailand - Feb 04, 2011
- Three killed, 118 injured in Thailand explosions - Sep 17, 2011
- Thai PM orders investigation into army shooting of four Muslims - Feb 01, 2012
- Bomb blast kills one, injures 40 in southern Thailand - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: attack police, bangkok post, bno, bomb blast, car bomb, closed circuit cameras, insurgent groups, karaoke bar, karaoke bars, mobile phone networks, muang district, narathiwat, other vehicles, southern province, southern regions, southern thailand, thailand yala, two females, yala province, yala thailand