Commercial banks mull interest rate hikeAugust 29th, 2008 - 2:09 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Commercial banks in Thailand are considering the modification of interest rates of both savings and loan accounts in line with the recent increase of interest rates by the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
Assistant to Business Customer Manager of Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), Mr. Wiwat Kittiphongkosol (วิวัฒน์ กิตติพงศ์โกศล), reveals that the banks are likely to escalate their interest rates by 0.25 percent as the financial institutions are attempting to ensure sufficient liquidity through fund mobilizations.
Mr. Wiwat says this year may see the competition of saving activities. He says the banks’ interest rate adjustment will create an impact on entrepreneurs’ costs of production, especially those who run small and medium enterprises (SME).
Mr. Wiwat says SME businesses at the moment are experiencing low liquidity but are not facing a non-performance loan (NPL) crisis. He says current political situations result in the reluctant of consumers to spend their money. In this connection, he says SME entrepreneurs must be aware of business deficit and are advised to wait and see the situations prior to loan application.
Source : National News Bureau, Public Relations Department of Thailand
- Crisil to target SMEs in tier II, III towns - Feb 22, 2012
- SBI mulls reduced interest rates for small, medium enterprises - May 29, 2012
- Kenya's central bank cuts benchmark rate - Jul 06, 2012
- Omar gives nod to loans schemes for youth entrepreneurs - Feb 01, 2012
- Interest rates to go down but not immediately, say top banks - Apr 17, 2012
- Outgoing Minister of Industry asks successor to carry on SME and eco-car policies - Aug 01, 2008
- Experts welcome SIDBI fund for service sector startups - May 21, 2012
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Fitch downgrades 18 Spanish banks - Jun 12, 2012
- Northeastern people staging rally on Preah Vihear issue - Jul 05, 2008
- NSE to launch SME exchange in November - Nov 03, 2011
- India Inc welcomes rate cut (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- RBI tightens norms for home loans, rates may go up - Nov 02, 2010
- Credit Information Bureau to target insurance, telecom firms - Aug 03, 2011
- RBI removes penalty on prepayment of home loans - Jun 05, 2012