Chiang Mai potential venue for ASEAN summitOctober 24th, 2008 - 9:25 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Spokesman of Ministry of Foreign Affairs disclosed the Government was singling out new venue for ASEAN summit to be held in December this year, possibly in Chiang Mai. The decision was expected to be reached around the end of October.
Mr. Tharit Charoongwat, Director-General of Department of Information, in his capacity as Spokesman of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said on Thursday (October 23) that Thai authorities were considering a possibility to change ASEAN summit’s meeting to be held between December 15 and 18 this year for fear that prevailing prolonged local political problem may adversely affect the meeting.
The Thai Government, he said, was considering a number of alternative options. The relevant authorities, he added, have been traveling to Chiang Mai to consider as a possible venue for the ASEAN summit. The decision was expected to reach around the end of this month.
Earlier, the authorities tentatively agreed to choose either Chiang Mai or Centara Grand located at Ratchaprasong intersection in Bangkok as a venue. But final decision has not yet been reached.
Apart from 10 ASEAN members, 17 leaders of ASEAN’s partners would join the meeting, including United Nations (UN) secretary-general, Mr. Bun Kee Moon who will attend the third ASEAN-UN summit. Leaders of the world’s leading organizations will also participate the ASEAN summit, including those from World Bank and Asian Development Bank.
Source : National News Bureau, Public Relations Department of Thailand
- ASEAN Summit may be held in other venues - Oct 24, 2008
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- ASEAN summit shies away from Thai veg fest, piercings - Aug 14, 2009
- Political turmoil wont affect ASEAN Summit, says official - Nov 26, 2008
- U.S. State Department issues travel warning for Thailand - May 15, 2010
- ASEAN-China meeting postponed amid protests (Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- Asean summit to be held in Thailand's Hua Hin city - Jan 07, 2009
- Indian PM reaches Singapore (Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Thailand mulls postponing Asean summit due to political turmoil - Nov 30, 2008
- India's 'Look East' policy has strategic goals (Comment) - Oct 26, 2010
- Thailand postpones Asean summit amid political chaos - Dec 02, 2008
- Economic downturn lends urgency to India-ASEAN partnership: Manmohan Singh - Nov 19, 2011
- World's longest tunnel aquarium opens in Thailand - Oct 26, 2008
- Thailand aims at world record in massage - Jun 03, 2011
- New flights to boost Indian tourists flow to Thailand - Feb 11, 2011