Car bomb kills 1, injures 23 in south ThailandApril 18th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by BNO News
YALA, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) — A car bomb explosion in southern Thailand killed an army ranger and injured at least 23 people on Monday morning, officials said.
Yala police chief Major General Chote Chavalwiwat told the Bangkok Post that the blast came from a home-made bomb containing 20 kilograms (44 pounds) of explosives hidden in a vehicle parked in front of a drug store in the business area of Yala, Thailand, which is located in the country’s southern most tip near the Malaysian border.
The bomb was detonated when eight military rangers on a pickup truck passed the vehicle on Siroros Road in Yala’s Muang district. The explosion killed Staff Sergeant Abhisit Yuangprang of Pattani’s Ranger Unit 47 at the scene and injured 23 others, including other rangers and civilians near the area.
The death could rise as Yala Hospital doctors said the injured rangers were in serious and critical conditions. The injured civilians, however, were reported to have suffered only minor injuries.
In February, two car bombs struck the same business area, and local police believe the same separatist group responsible for previous blasts carried out Monday’s attack.
- One dead, 12 injured in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Feb 21, 2011
- Seven killed, 70 hurt in Thai bombings - Mar 31, 2012
- Bomb kills 8 people in southern Thailand - Jan 25, 2011
- 10 wounded in bomb blast in southern Thailand - Apr 02, 2011
- Car bomb injures 17 in southern Thailand - Feb 13, 2011
- Bomb blasts in southern Thailand kill 3, injure dozens - Sep 17, 2011
- Suspected militants kill two Muslims at mosque in southern Thailand - Sep 17, 2011
- Five Buddhist villagers killed in southern Thailand - Feb 04, 2011
- Thai PM orders investigation into army shooting of four Muslims - Feb 01, 2012
- Blasts in southern Thailand injure at least 15 - Oct 25, 2010
- Bomb blast kills one, injures 40 in southern Thailand - Apr 21, 2010
- Emergency decree renewed in Thailand's southern region - Oct 19, 2010
- Bomb injures 28 in southern Thailand provincial capital - Oct 19, 2009
- Two killed as attacks continue in southern Thailand - Jun 23, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills three Pakistani Rangers - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: army ranger, bangkok post, bno, business area, car bomb explosion, car bombs, chote, critical conditions, home made bomb, hospital doctors, malaysian border, muang district, pattani, ranger unit, separatist group, south thailand, southern thailand, staff sergeant, thailand yala, yala thailand