ASEAN Secretary-General urges government to quickly find replacement for FMSeptember 4th, 2008 - 4:03 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Secretary-General of the ASEAN Doctor Surin Pitsuwan (สุรินทร์ พิศสุวรรณ) has urged the government to expedite the establishment of someone to take on the responsbilities of recently resigned Foreign Affairs Minister Tej Bunnag. He said that the government must quickly replace the resigned minister and work to reestablish confidence ahead of an ASEAN summit scheduled for December.
Dr. Surin admitted that the resignation of Mr. Tej has concerned many ASEAN member nations and he has tried to stem their worries of escalating violence. The ASEAN Secretary-General expressed his continued belief that the country’s conflict can be resolved throught political processes.
Dr. Surin said that he has not yet been contacted by Mr. Tej on what issues he would like to be relayed to the ASEAN community but stated that preparations for the summit in December are continuing as scheduled.
Source : National News Bureau, Public Relations Department of Thailand
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- India calls for greater connectivity with ASEAN (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Manmohan Singh promises visa on arrival for citizens of four ASEAN nations - Oct 30, 2010
- Krishna to address Delhi Dialogue III - Mar 03, 2011
- ASEAN inaugurates human rights body (Lead) - Oct 23, 2009
- Foreign ministers to usher in new chapter for Asean - Dec 09, 2008
- Hillary Clinton to visit ASEAN headquarters Wednesday - Feb 16, 2009
- ASEAN, UN stress rapid aid for Myanmar cyclone - Aug 30, 2010
- ASEAN urges Myanmar to hold free, fair elections - Jul 20, 2010
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- PM announces visa on arrival for four Asean countries - Oct 30, 2010
- ASEAN-China FTA key to grouping's growth in future, say leaders - Oct 24, 2009
- ASEAN Secretary-General offering assistance to Preah Vihear dispute - Jul 21, 2008
- Civil society questions mandate of ASEAN human rights body - Feb 19, 2009
- Prime Minister to embark on three-nation Asia tour on Sunday (Part II) - Oct 22, 2010