ASEAN Secretary-General offering assistance to Preah Vihear disputeJuly 21st, 2008 - 1:22 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The Secretary-General of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), Dr. Surin Pitsuwan, said at the annual ASEAN ministerial meeting in Singapore that the governments of Thailand and Cambodia be very patience in resolving the disputed border near Preah Vihear Temple. He said he would like to help both countries solve this problem.
The ASEAN Secretary-General suggested the Cambodian government not to seek ways for the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to intervene in this issue. Dr. Surin said he would like both countries to quickly express their wants while showing cordial attitude.
In addition, Dr. Surin said other ASEAN member countries want to see both nations seek solutions that promote reconciliation and overcome this crisis.
Source : National News Bureau, Public Relations Department of Thailand
- Cambodia and Thailand continue border clashes for the fourth day - Apr 26, 2011
- Thailand and Cambodia agree to ceasefire - Apr 28, 2011
- Thai PM says Cambodian troops must leave border to solve dispute - May 08, 2011
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- Thai-Cambodia clashes continue into fifth day - Apr 26, 2011
- Thai-Cambodia peace talks postponed as clashes continue - Apr 27, 2011
- UN chief calls on Cambodia, Thailand for ceasefire - Apr 25, 2011
- Cambodia and Thailand agree to remove troops from disputed border - Sep 16, 2011
- Thai soldier killed less than one day after ceasefire agreed with Cambodia - Apr 29, 2011
- UN urges Thai-Cambodia ceasefire - Apr 24, 2011
- Clashes along Thai-Cambodian border resume - Feb 17, 2011
- Cambodia favours ceasefire with Thailand under ASEAN aegis - Feb 17, 2011
- Thailand, Cambodia to hold border talks - Aug 12, 2011
- UN chief calls for ending Cambodia, Thailand hostilities - Feb 07, 2011
- Thai-Cambodia border clashes enter 11th day - May 02, 2011