Siam Sunrays, Thailand’s cocktail drinkFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 12:15 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
If Cuba has Mojito, there is also the Singapore Sling and the Manhattan. Thailand hopes a newly created drink called ‘Siam Sunrays’ will enter the world’s cocktail lexicon and help draw tourists back to the country.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand revealed a new drink on Thursday, calling it ‘Thailand in a glass - the new punch in Thai tourism’.
The cocktail consists of a shot of vodka, coconut liqueur, a dash of chili pepper and sugar, lime juice, a few slivers of lemongrass and ginger but shaken not “stirred”, then strained into a glass ; with ice and soda water.
One of the latest strategy to revive Thailand’s key tourism industry, which was battered by political protests last year that culminated in a weeklong shutdown of Bangkok’s two main airports. The airport seizure stranded more than 300,000 travellers at the start of the peak holiday season, dealing a devastating blow to Thailand’s tourist-friendly image.
Siam Sunrays was the winner of a competition sponsored by the two agencies to create a national cocktail.
‘Thailand’s new signature drink is based on very Thai ingredients,’ the statement said, adding that the drink was now available at hotels and resorts across the country.
- 10 quintessential cocktails for all occasions! - Jun 20, 2012
- Anarkali, shaken not stirred - cocktail wisdom (With Image) (IANS Books) - May 20, 2011
- Some cocktail recipes (To go with cocktail story) - May 20, 2011
- Belgian bartenders create world record for cocktail - Aug 15, 2011
- Author backed cocktails to keep spirits soaring in Jaipur - Jan 20, 2012
- Now, Cupcake Vodka with 'creamy texture' - Apr 29, 2011
- History and Recipes for National Margarita Day - Feb 23, 2010
- 'World's most complex cocktail' Bloody Mary's flavour chemistry revealed - Mar 30, 2011
- Hemingway's favourite Cuban bar turns 195 - Jul 07, 2012
- Russian firm to name alcoholic drink after Gaddafi - Nov 23, 2011
- NY bar whips up Charlie Sheen-inspired cocktails - Mar 07, 2011
- Family tourism to replace Thailand's 'sex tourism' tag - Aug 19, 2011
- India, Thailand likely to sign free trade agreement during Thai PM's visit - Apr 04, 2011
- Rihanna to endorse Madonna's coconut drink - May 12, 2011
- Robert De Niro trains bartenders how to make 'halftini' - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: chili pepper, cocktail drink, coconut liqueur, holiday season, lemongrass, lexicon, lime juice, political protests, seizure, siam, signature drink, singapore sling, slivers, soda water, sunrays, thai ingredients, thai tourism, tourism authority of thailand, tourism industry, vodka