YouTube co-founder decides to step downOctober 31st, 2010 - 8:50 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
October 31, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley has officially offered to step down as CEO of the world’s most popular website for watching videos.
This decision came forth after a 5 year old site formalized the transition that had been in the pipeline for some time now, as the owner of YouTube, Google Inc, wanted more control.
Hurley, who was more into the site’s design and relationship with its users, has decided to remain an adviser for YouTube but then officially hand over the CEO’s role to Salar Kamangar, who is one of Google’s foremost employees, and is the Vice President of production management. He has been in charge of YouTube‘s day to day operations for the past two years.
Google had bought YouTube for $1.76 billion four years back, which had filled Hurley and his fellow co – founder Steve Chan and Jawed Karim’s pockets. However, Chen and Karim had left YouTube much earlier. Karim’s share was supposedly $64 million.
Kamangar is credited with creative ideas and new innovative ways to categorize the various departments and to manage the huge attraction that You Tube generates from viewers. Its most popular USP is it’s “user generated content” or UGC.
However, it has been of late, acknowledged as a strategic marketing platform and is popular with pop stars to promote their music albums. Pop stars like Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga and Eminem, Miley Cyrus, all have taken this privilege as a promotional for their videos on line. The recent record of Lady Gaga’s joint video viewers touched the 1 billion mark, with Justin Beiber coming a close second, with viewers for his video soon to touch that mark anticipated in a few days.
All this was possible only because of You Tube, and its immense popularity. The other top ten most popular videos on you tube are -56 seconds of baby biting brother’s finger, six minute ‘Evolution of Dance’ and video of baby who can’t stop laughing.
However, according to reports, Chad Hurley is “ready to witness next phase of YouTube’s growth.”
- Co-founder of YouTube steps down as CEO - Oct 30, 2010
- YouTube Co-Founder Chad Hurley Steps Down - Oct 31, 2010
- Chad Hurley To Resign As Youtube CEO - Oct 30, 2010
- Bieber, Gaga become copyright victim - Aug 31, 2011
- Who Is Your Favorite- Lady Gaga Or Justin Bieber? - Nov 12, 2010
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Gaga becomes 1st musician to attract over 1bn video views on YouTube - Oct 26, 2010
- Britney Spears most followed on Google Plus - Nov 26, 2011
- Lady Gaga becomes first person to have 9m Twitter followers - Mar 26, 2011
- YouTube marks 5th b'day with 2 billion hits everyday - May 18, 2010
- Canada is the most web-addicted nation on earth - Dec 29, 2010
- YouTube marks fifth birthday by announcing two billion views per day - May 19, 2010
- Justin Bieber Is The Most Popular Artiste On YouTube! - Dec 14, 2010
- YouTube launches Hebrew interface - Sep 06, 2010
- YouTube being viewed more than a billion times a day! - Oct 10, 2009
Tags: beiber, chad hurley, evolution of dance, google, google inc, immense popularity, jawed karim, lady gaga, men at work, miley cyrus, music albums, pen men, pop stars, production management, s finger, steve chan, strategic marketing, video viewers, videos on line, youtube