Yahoo! to cut another 2,000 jobs in restructuring effortApril 4th, 2012 - 10:54 pm ICT by BNO News
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — Internet giant Yahoo!, Inc. on Wednesday said it will cut another 2,000 jobs, or about 14 percent of its global workforce, as part of a broader restructuring effort to make the company smaller and more profitable.
Yahoo! CEO Scott Thompson, who assumed the top position in early January, said the cuts are part of his plans to make the company smaller, nimbler, more profitable and better equipped to innovate faster at a pace the industry and its customers require. “We are intensifying our efforts on our core businesses and redeploying resources to our most urgent priorities,” he said.
Thompson said the new Yahoo! wants to ‘get back’ to its core purpose of putting users and advertisers first. “We are moving aggressively to achieve that goal,” he said. “Unfortunately, reaching that goal requires the tough decision to eliminate positions. We deeply value our people and all they’ve contributed to Yahoo!.”
As a result of the restructuring effort, Yahoo! said it will cut approximately 2,000 jobs, and affected employees are expected to be notified later on Wednesday. The dramatic job cuts are expected to save the company about $375 million a year, although severance pay will cost the company between $125 million and $145 million this year.
Wednesday’s job cuts are the largest yet for the struggling company, which has failed to keep up with social media giant Facebook and internet rival Google. Former CEO Carol Bartz was fired in September 2011 as he was unable to increase Yahoo!’s revenue, despite some 4,000 jobs being cut in the last four years.
Yahoo!, which currently employs about 14,000 people, has nearly 700 million users around the world.
- Yahoo cuts 2,000 jobs - Apr 05, 2012
- Yahoo names new CEO (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Yahoo names new CEO - Jan 05, 2012
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- Carol Bartz could get $10 million in compensation from Yahoo - Sep 08, 2011
- Yahoo Inc Lays Off 600 Employees - Dec 15, 2010
- Yahoo CEO firing shocks the corporate world - Sep 08, 2011
- Yahoo to acquire Interclick for $270 mn - Nov 02, 2011
- Inadvertent error in CEO's resume: Yahoo - May 04, 2012
- American Airlines may cut 13,000 jobs - Feb 02, 2012
- Google to cut 4,000 jobs at Motorola Mobility - Aug 14, 2012
- Yahoo considers selling Asian assets: Report - Dec 22, 2011
- Microsoft, Yahoo join forces to challenge Google (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2009
- HP plans to cut 2,000 more jobs - Sep 11, 2012
- Yahoo CEO steps down - May 14, 2012
Tags: advertisers, bno, carol bartz, ceo, core businesses, core purpose, facebook, global workforce, google, internet giant yahoo, media giant, news internet, pace, restructuring, san francisco california, scott thompson, severance pay, urgent priorities, yahoo, yahoo inc