Wikipedia Site Was Down Owing To Server MalfunctionMarch 25th, 2010 - 8:04 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Mar 25, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The web users have become increasingly dependent on services such as Gmail and Wikipedia and once one such service goes down, they get baffled and the work comes to a standstill. That is exactly what happened yesterday. The online encyclopedia of the world, commonly referred as Wiki, suffered a breakdown yesterday and it affected millions of users worldwide. The problem was caused by a server overheating issue as it became evident later. The European data center developed an overheating problem yesterday and as a precautionary measure, several wiki servers initiated auto shutdown procedure.
The users who tried to access Wikipedia site were greeted with Server Not Found message and some also mistook it as a hacking attack. However, later the confusion became clear and the Wikipedia team embarked into damage control mode and restored the service promptly. The overheating problem in turn triggered a DNS resolution failure which made accessing the Wiki pages impossible for the users. The baffled users tweeted in their Twitter accounts and started searching about a possible solution to the problem. The service was restored but the posts in the Facebook page of Wiki indicated that some users may still face problems owing to caching effects.
The service outage made a lot of users frustrated and they were forced to stop their work for some time. Some users also posted some funny and witty comments in their Facebook and Twitter accounts with some saying that wiki outage made them feel like they were back to the medieval ages. However, by now the service is normal and the users can access it without any issues.
- Is Wikipedia down? - Mar 25, 2010
- Facebook Outage Leaves The Company Red Faced - Sep 24, 2010
- Facebook Outage Lasted For 30 Minutes When Company Tested New Features - Dec 17, 2010
- Facebook Down - Don't Panic - Sep 24, 2010
- Wikipedia Faced Technical Difficulties Due To Power Outage - Jul 05, 2010
- www.msn.com is down - Mar 26, 2010
- Maps on Wikipedia depict people's view: Founder - Nov 18, 2011
- Skype Outage Caused Confusion Among Users Worldwide - Dec 23, 2010
- Packet8 Service Outage Leaves The Users Baffled - Jan 13, 2010
- Users Face Worst Outage In 4 Years; Facebook Apologizes - Sep 24, 2010
- WikiLeaks website back up on Swiss network after six-hour shutdown - Dec 03, 2010
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Skype Explains The Root Cause Of Global Service Outage - Dec 23, 2010
- Now, WikiLeaks taken offline by 'domain name system' provider - Dec 03, 2010
- 300,000 computers with deadly virus to lose internet: FBI - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: auto shutdown, confusion, damage control mode, dns resolution, facebook, failure, gmail, medieval ages, online encyclopedia, possible solution, precautionary measure, ranjan, server malfunction, service outage, shutdown procedure, standstill, twitter, web users, wikipedia, witty comments