Verizon Wireless to introduce tiered data plan in next four to six monthsSeptember 24th, 2010 - 3:59 am ICT by BNO News
NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) – Verizon Wireless expects to introduce a form of tiered data pricing over the next four to six months, likely putting a cap on the amount of data that can be used a month by each subscribers, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The wireless industry has struggled, in recent times, has struggled to balance the demand for data capacity with unlimited plans that cap how much revenue carriers can generate from their subscribers. In addition, the caps serve to ensure that traffic flows smoothly. AT&T was among the first mobile carriers who introduced a tiered system.
Verizon Communications Inc. Chief Executive Ivan Seidenberg on Thursday said that the company didn’t need to be the first on tiered pricing, and wouldn’t simply copy AT&T. “We’re not sure we agree yet with how they valued the data,” he said. He said that the introduction of new products and services, which would likely launch in conjunction with fourth-generation wireless services, would allow Verizon Wireless to introduce a tiered pricing structure.
Verizon is also making the move to 4G, and hopes that it will spur popular product makers like Apple Inc. to build products for the carrier, Seidenberg said. “At some point, Apple will get with the program,” he said during an investor conference on Thursday. Verizon Wireless has long dealt with the lack of the industry game-changer, the Apple iPhone, which so far has faithfully sided with AT&T. The lack of the iPhone has recently forced Verizon Wireless to develop its own strong lineup.
“We don’t feel like we have an iPhone deficit,” Seidenberg said. “We would love to carry it, but we have to earn it.” He declined to comment on speculation that Verizon Wireless would receive an iPhone model sometime next year, saying that he couldn’t speak for Apple.
- Verizon, AT&T; crucial to BlackBerry tablet sales - Apr 22, 2011
- Verizon to market iPhone soon in the US - Oct 10, 2010
- Verizon iPhone: How Will It Affect The Users? - Jan 12, 2011
- Cheaper smaller 'iPhone Nano' in the pipeline - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple making new iPhone for Verizon - Oct 07, 2010
- US government sues to block AT&T;, T-Mobile merger - Sep 01, 2011
- Apple Launches iPhone On Verizon, AT&T Retorts - Jan 12, 2011
- Apple to launch smaller iPhone - Feb 11, 2011
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Apple iPhone 5 is slimmer, lighter (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Apple unveils slimmer, lighter iPhone 5 - Sep 13, 2012
- Verizon iPhone data plan is for $30 per month - Jan 26, 2011
- AT&T To Finish Unrestricted Data Plans For Smart Phones - Jun 03, 2010
- AT&T; drops bid for T-Mobile - Dec 20, 2011
- Verizon Announces iPhone Coming On Its Network, Users Excited - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: 4g, apple iphone, bno, caps, chief executive, conjunction, investor conference, iphone, ivan seidenberg, mobile carriers, six months, speculation, tiered pricing structure, tiered system, verizon, verizon communications, verizon communications inc, verizon wireless, wall street, wall street journal